Unable to get Linnstrument's Low Row to work with Deckard's Dream MKII using Logic Pro

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Everyone,

I've had some success using the lovely Linnstrument with Deckard's Dream in Logic, but I'm still making a blunder that I can't figure out. If you have a solution, I'd be grateful to hear it.

When turning on the Linnstrument's Low Strip, it will not function unless I change the Logic's Midi Out Channel to "1". But by doing this, when I play multiple notes and take my finger off one of the notes, all notes stop playing. (Deckards is in MPE mode and Polyphonic Voicing.)

If I change the Midi Out Channel to "All", then all notes play properly but the Linnstrument's Low Row does not function.

Similarly, Audio Modeling Cello behaves the same but I'm assuming that because it is a monophonic, using Logic Midi Out Channel "1" doesn't affect the sound whereas it does with Deckard's polyphonic outputs.

Does anyone know how to correct this? Or is it even possible?

Thank you.

All devices all updated to the latest firmware. Below are screen shots of the setting for Linnstrument, Deckard's Dream and Logic Pro.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mjk3423 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:41 pm Does anyone know how to correct this? Or is it even possible?
No, does this issue still occur when directly connecting the Deckard's Dream MKII to the LinnStrument?

Thank you for your answer.

I haven't been able to do that. My MKII USB doesn't power on the Linnstrument 128 and I don't see an option for the USB to Host on the MKII even though there menu option is listed in the MK manual. Is there a way to do this?

mjk3423 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:56 pm Is there a way to do this?
There is a workaround:
  1. Connect the LinnStrument to the Deckard's Dream MKII using a MIDI DIN cable.
  2. Connect the LinnStrument to your computer using a USB cable to power it on.
  3. In LinnStrument's Global Settings, configure it to use MIDI DIN instead of USB MIDI.

Thank you FranklyFlawless! I will try that soon and update the thread.

Hi mjk3423,

Thank you for owning a LinnStrument.

Regarding Deckard's Dream, I've never used it but some LinnStrument players have reported that it is MPE-compatible. I suggest using the MPE shortcut that is described on the LinnStrument Getting Started page, which will insure that LinnStrument is sending correct MPE information. Then presumably the Deckard's manual states how to set it to receive MPE. Then the only question should be whether the per-note (member) channels match. If you're new to MPE, there's a helpful page on my site called "What is MPE?".

Regarding the SWAM instruments from Audio Modeling, I suggest following the instructions on my Recommended Sounds page under the heading "For expressive bowed strings and winds". This will tell you how to set both LinnStrument and SWAM for MPE. Although you are correct in that SWAM instruments are monophonic and therefore not MPE, setting them to their "MPE" preset accepts MPE MIDI data and converts it internally for their monophonic voice, which is helpful.

Also, as FranklyFlawless suggested, it's best to connect LinnStrument and Deckard's directly at first in order to eliminate any possible MIDI routing problems in your DAW. If that works but running through the DAW breaks it, you'll then know that the problem is in the DAW. By default, Logic should pass all 16 channels to the track, thereby permitting MPE use, but the best way to trace down MIDI problems is to simplify, simplify, simplify. By the way, my LinnStrument Support page gives some helpful points for tracing down MIDI problems.

Thank you for your reply Mr. Linn. Your support page has been a big help, I've followed it for connecting the Linnstrument to the Deckards' Dream. I also followed FranklyFlawless's advice and purchased a MIDI DIN cable and hooked directly from the Linstrument to the DD, leaving Logic out of the chain (I used the headphone jack on the DD.) Unfortunately, the low row still does not work - this is definitely a DD issue and not a Linnstrument issue because as mentioned previously, the Linnstrument works perfectly with SWAM. Other than the low row, I believe the MPE is working but my head is getting funny. I'll keep trying and if I find a solution, I'll post it here. Thank you again.

Hi mjk3423,

I see from your screenshot of LinnStrument's Per-Split Settings that you have Low Row assigned to send MIDI Pitch Bend messages, like a conventional Pitch Bend wheel on a MIDI piano keyboard. Are you aware that this is redundant because you can perform pitch slides on the fingered notes themselves, and independently for each fingered note?

I will assume that you wish to bend the pitch of an entire fingered chord, which is the only reason to simulate a conventional Pitch Bend wheel. If so, then Bend messages sent from the Low Row are intended to affect all fingered notes and are therefore sent over the Main channel (also called Master channel in the MPE spec). However, most MPE synths don't respond to such "bend wheel" messages because people generally don't use Bend Wheels with MPE controllers, so it's likely that Deckard's also ignores it. You'd have to ask them.

Thank you Mr. Linn, I will ask Black Corp. Others have had the same problem with Deckard's Dream and the low row, I'm sure it's the synth. But even without the low row, Deckards and the Linnstrument are great companions. You can still bend chords by moving all your fingers. I think the low row is attractive mainly because it's nostalgic of the CS-80 ribbon strip, but it's certainly not necessary. And as I wrote earlier, my Linnstrument's low row works perfectly with SWAM. Speaking of SWAM, I highly recommend using a TEC breath controller along with Linnstrument. It's add a vocal element and activating lungs along with your fingers is an enjoyable synergy. Have a nice Sunday evening and thanks again for your reply.

I'm glad you understand the problem and hopefully can find a solution.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”