UAD still worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

It needs some kind of a mix control.

Uncle E wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:22 pm I've been using the Warm setting with Drive under 50%. I don't see the point in buying the full version since Thicken and Vintagize are already too over-the-top for me.
I can’t help thinking the closest thing to new in this market is bloom.

This to me seems targeted at the next generation and is likely a smart move.

I jumped on the UA stuff because I like learning how things were done, what was used but can’t help thinking there might be less interest for the next ones to follow especially as newer tools make their own mark on popular music (or the newer old music replaces our old music).

VitaminD wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:32 pm It needs some kind of a mix control.
Most modes have some kind of wow+flutter/modulation so they intentionally left out a mix knob to avoid phase issues. This is designed to be an insert FX only really.

Uncle E wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:22 pm I've been using the Warm setting with Drive under 50%. I don't see the point in buying the full version since Thicken and Vintagize are already too over-the-top for me.
Vintagizer at maximum is a great, heavy-handed distortion for when you want it. Sounds a lot like the sounds I get out of my Chroma Console. Try it out.

i dont have a problem with them i guess they are learning how to do bussines lowering plugins prices

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:14 pm Most modes have some kind of wow+flutter/modulation so they intentionally left out a mix knob to avoid phase issues. This is designed to be an insert FX only really.
Yes, people on the UAD forum reported Phase issues when using this on a bus.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:16 pm Vintagizer at maximum is a great, heavy-handed distortion for when you want it. Sounds a lot like the sounds I get out of my Chroma Console. Try it out.
Wow! Will try! Between this and the diode thread, this has been a distortion weekend for me.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:14 pm
VitaminD wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:32 pm It needs some kind of a mix control.
Most modes have some kind of wow+flutter/modulation so they intentionally left out a mix knob to avoid phase issues. This is designed to be an insert FX only really.
I'd still like to see a mix control. Esp for insert use. Even turned down (at least on the free version) there is a strong colored presence to the sound apart from the original signal. Mix control, please.

Uncle E wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:41 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:14 pm Most modes have some kind of wow+flutter/modulation so they intentionally left out a mix knob to avoid phase issues. This is designed to be an insert FX only really.
Yes, people on the UAD forum reported Phase issues when using this on a bus.
Can't say if this is the case here, but I've come across some plugins that couldn't be used in parallel on a bus due to the host getting incorrect reporting of what the latency is, so its latency compensation is wrong.

Yes, that seems to be the case. They're discussing it now, although I don't expect UA to fix it any time soon.

Uncle E wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:22 pm I don't see the point in buying the full version since Thicken and Vintagize are already too over-the-top for me.
but but but.... is it not the full version that would most probably mitigate this by offering in/out control? :?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Input and output controls to the rescue! Such a weird thing to leave off.

I gave Verve a try, and it sounds pretty good. But I’d still rather have Ampex.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I have too many saturations to really make this too useful. Will try it out though and register the free one.

In Bitwig I can easily add a group to a single plug in, which adds a mix control (ctrl + g). Very useful.

Please let us know if Bitwig's mix control causes any phase issues for you.

Return to “Effects”