I released a new version of my free & open-source modular synth plugin "blocks"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DOWNLOAD HERE
SOURCE CODE
DISCORD

blocks is a fun & simple modular synth available for MacOS & Windows as Standalone, VST3 and AU.
Linux support will come soon!

Here's one of the stock presets:
https://youtu.be/Bf98fVG27vg?si=UfIb3y0vojGZnvoF

Cool! Thanks for this :)
FL Studio 21 - Waveform 12 | Surge - Variety of Sound

Love the minimal UI. Sounds great too!

Any plans on updating the AU version to Apple Silicon?
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

cdbaksu wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:24 am Love the minimal UI. Sounds great too!

please download again.
had to up the github action mac version so it runs on m1. let me know if its fixed :)

soonth wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:43 am
cdbaksu wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:24 am Love the minimal UI. Sounds great too!

please download again.
had to up the github action mac version so it runs on m1. let me know if its fixed :)
Nice! It's fixed.

Can't wait to have a play with it this weekend. Thanks! :D
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

Yes, the interface looks very nice.
I’m not a programmer, probably this function is too difficult to implement, but if it becomes possible to draw ADSR and LFO like MSEG, then this synthesizer will definitely become one of the most interesting free ones.

Alexander137 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:54 pm Yes, the interface looks very nice.
I’m not a programmer, probably this function is too difficult to implement, but if it becomes possible to draw ADSR and LFO like MSEG, then this synthesizer will definitely become one of the most interesting free ones.
will do

Linux version is now out!
Download here!

Thanks for supporting Linux!!!
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

It sounds nice, but it takes up half of my AMD Ryzen 3700X.

Does it require MacOS 14? Or could you compile it for at least down to 12?

This video gives you a bit more insight into how this works. It's quite interesting and looks well conceived but it's not something I have any use for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q08PhGMdj1Y
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

soonth wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:31 am DOWNLOAD HERE
SOURCE CODE
DISCORD

blocks is a fun & simple modular synth available for MacOS & Windows as Standalone, VST3 and AU.
Linux support will come soon!

Here's one of the stock presets:
https://youtu.be/Bf98fVG27vg?si=UfIb3y0vojGZnvoF
This is a very clever design. I don't know whether you came up with it yourself or it is inspired by some other software, but to me it looks much more fun to use on a computer screen than the usual skeuomorphic UIs that are such a chore to use.

I assume the algorithms are all stock JUCE objects/functions (not that this is bad at all, JUCE is a very high quality library for audio).

Another "thanks for linux" here. I tried to compile it a couple of days ago but failed. Glad to see you fixed it so soon :)

Just playing with it now. Would it be possible to have parameters that are being modulated update their values? For example, I put together an oscillator and a filter with an lfo modulating the filter cutoff. The slider for the filter cutoff isn't showing any movement, yet I can hear the filter cutoff being modulated.

Or maybe this is a bad idea because you would then lose sight of the initial values. Unless there was a way to overlay the movement on the parameter sliders. Maybe a dot like in the left panel?
Image Image Image Image

BONES wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:29 pm This video gives you a bit more insight into how this works. It's quite interesting and looks well conceived but it's not something I have any use for.
with blocks what you get is what you see, and sometimes it's helpful to keep it clean especially if you want to creatively add upon a simple idea.

it's "modular" only as a byproduct of what would be the simplest way of translating a synth sound from your head to reality (IMO).

so dont be so sure you wont find it useful :wink:

Return to “Instruments”