Tips to recreate Yamaha FX 500 Soft Focus using Valhalla Reverb and Delay?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Was looking at buying the soft focus pedal for this but I have the full Valhalla plugins and thought maybe someone has gotten closer than I have. OR maybe using other plugins?

Are you a sound designer at all? Asking so we know how to phrase the technical bits.

Here's a youtube timestamp of the interface which I paused on

What does the "symphonic" setting do is that stereo chorus short ms delay for doubling or something like that?

https://youtu.be/1Sll8K9J1ZE?t=496

Not a sound designer but I can fumble my way through things if you'd just like to lay it out there.
So I'd need a chorus w a short delay time as well?

After I'm off work I'll go take a listen to some patches to see if there's anything the fx500 does that other reverbs don't. There's also the contribution of whatever algorithm it uses, which may or may not be replicable with various other reverbs but that would be pretty unusual, especially given the fairly deep features of other effects that unit seems to offer based on reading it's signal flow on the top of the box. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to find something :)

interesting, I know some indie bands that use this signal chain so I just asked them
reverb > eq > flanger > delay > chorus > compressor

listening to some examples I heard pretty large variations, some with liquid, fast flanger, some with very subtle and more chorus at the end, but though you might have difficulty finding a dedicated reverb that does all of those, the quality of the reverb doesn't really matter as the downstream effects will obscure it anyway

most of the examples I listened to have multitap delays set to eight or quarter notes
I think the eq is in there just to attenuate the top and bottom frequency ranges and I don't see why you couldn't lave that out, and most reverbs have filters for that anyway

you certainly needn't spend any money to get this sound, its rather lo-fi and that seems to be the point, so freeware likely will do a nice job in this case, though you'd likely have better suggestions from a guitar player than from me because I tend to use all sorts of overly fancy crazy stuff

ah ok! I seem to remember a reverse reverb being part of it, maybe a fuzz too... I'll play around with that chain you mentioned and see what I can get. Thanks!

runagate wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:18 pm interesting, I know some indie bands that use this signal chain so I just asked them
reverb > eq > flanger > delay > chorus > compressor

listening to some examples I heard pretty large variations, some with liquid, fast flanger, some with very subtle and more chorus at the end, but though you might have difficulty finding a dedicated reverb that does all of those, the quality of the reverb doesn't really matter as the downstream effects will obscure it anyway

most of the examples I listened to have multitap delays set to eight or quarter notes
I think the eq is in there just to attenuate the top and bottom frequency ranges and I don't see why you couldn't lave that out, and most reverbs have filters for that anyway
After a lot of testing, I think the delay on the Soft Focus patch is fed back into one another (crossfeed). The Crisscross delay in the Line 6 Helix gets close to that skittering sound you hear on Soft Focus if you take out the chorus and reverb. I get why people think it's multitap because it does sound similar but I'm positive that it's simply the left channel 250ms delay feeding back into the right channel 380ms delay and vice versa.

Return to “Sound Design”