Fear Of Björk

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello! New member here. I joined because I saw how members were providing honest (almost brutally honest) critiques regarding mixing, production, and composition. I was hoping to get some input about my projects. I use only an iPad and Apple pencil, so I'm limited in many ways, but trying my best to get around that.

This is something I did a couple years ago. I would love to hear what you think. Pro or con.

https://soundcloud.com/paulieworld/fear-of-bjork

I don't have many tips for you (if any). I wanted to engage in the thread to say that this type of music is not my cup of tea at all but I enjoyed your track. To me, you most definitely need to work on mixing drums because they are cloudy and muddy and I don't feel dynamic or energy in them (which is what I mostly expect from drums). But then perhaps you wanted them to sound like this. However, I still think that they could be mixed better.

Have a great weekend.

That's exactly what I would like to hear. I did this one a couple years ago and I have been getting better at the process. I started using MagicDeathEye Stereo and DDMF 6144 in final mixdowns and it has helped a lot. I might go back and redo this one. Thanks for listening!

I'm not in my usual listening environment and just have decent headphones, but I don't think the mix is that bad. I think some of the voices could use some more frequency cutting to make space for each other, and some times the tail of some of the bass sounds last a bit long, especially in the mid frequencies which takes up space that you can use for your melodic elements. There are some good sound design elements in here. You said you were doing this on your iPad which makes me want to ask are you using a lot of instrument presets and midi templates, or are you doing all the writing and sound design?
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

eassae wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:15 pm I'm not in my usual listening environment and just have decent headphones, but I don't think the mix is that bad. I think some of the voices could use some more frequency cutting to make space for each other, and some times the tail of some of the bass sounds last a bit long, especially in the mid frequencies which takes up space that you can use for your melodic elements. There are some good sound design elements in here. You said you were doing this on your iPad which makes me want to ask are you using a lot of instrument presets and midi templates, or are you doing all the writing and sound design?
Thanks for listening and giving some good feedback. My listening environment is just a very good pair of headphones. I listen to other music that I know was well produced, and try to emulate that in my projects. But everybody's ears are different. So I like to know what others are thinking and hearing.

Yes, I only use an iPad and stylus. Ironically, I played in bands for most of my life and have several keyboards and guitars stashed away in the closet. I just don't play them anymore. Long story.

Regarding the sounds, I use anything that's available to me. I have dozens of synth apps and drum machines. I also frequently use apps like Piano Motifs that generate MIDI data that I can use as-is, or edit in the Cubasis MIDI editor. I also use non-copyrighted samples, or content that I have written permission to use. Pretty much anything goes!

I like to do all original "music". At least, that's what I call it. I try to do something different each time. I'm not always successful, but I try. My wife says I can be very trying!

Anyhow, thanks again for listening. I always welcome your thoughts. Have a good one!

If you mix on headphones I wholeheartedly recommend Realphones 2.0 - try Studio 21A, tune room to taste (decrease reflection), and be amazed at how mixes of your favorite artists sound honest. Then try mixing your stuff and see how it translates.

https://www.dsoniq.com/

After Realphones I can not mix on headphones anymore. I used DT 1770 Pro and 1990 Pro and many other brands (even Plannar Magnetic) but now I am on Neumann NDH 30 and with a bit of imagination the sound is like the perfectly tuned expensive room I had a chance to work in. Most importantly my mixes translate fantastically. I tried many headphone correction software, including SoundID. And Slate VSX (which was the biggest letdown - for me)

For me, Realphones is a game-changing software and I hate the "game changer" word. It made such a big difference that in the headphones I used for years I was able to hear the level of details and instruments I didn't know existed. This sounds very hyperbolic but I am in NO WAY connected to this company. I was shocked and a bit ashamed of the fact that I was under the impression I intimately knew my favorite tracks inside out. Until I heard them over Realphones and dropped my jaws. Very honest and revealing moment for me.

However, your mileage may vary because not all headphones are the same, and not all ears or heads are the same.

Good luck with everything.

Pull it back a bit and you'll have something very good. There's a lot going on, particularly the guitars and the fast sequenced part at 1:48. Cut those out and you'll have a nice atmospheric track. Plus, that great bass line will have space to shine.

kmonkey wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:42 pm If you mix on headphones I wholeheartedly recommend Realphones 2.0 - try Studio 21A, tune room to taste (decrease reflection), and be amazed at how mixes of your favorite artists sound honest. Then try mixing your stuff and see how it translates.

https://www.dsoniq.com/

After Realphones I can not mix on headphones anymore. I used DT 1770 Pro and 1990 Pro and many other brands (even Plannar Magnetic) but now I am on Neumann NDH 30 and with a bit of imagination the sound is like the perfectly tuned expensive room I had a chance to work in. Most importantly my mixes translate fantastically. I tried many headphone correction software, including SoundID. And Slate VSX (which was the biggest letdown - for me)

For me, Realphones is a game-changing software and I hate the "game changer" word. It made such a big difference that in the headphones I used for years I was able to hear the level of details and instruments I didn't know existed. This sounds very hyperbolic but I am in NO WAY connected to this company. I was shocked and a bit ashamed of the fact that I was under the impression I intimately knew my favorite tracks inside out. Until I heard them over Realphones and dropped my jaws. Very honest and revealing moment for me.

However, your mileage may vary because not all headphones are the same, and not all ears or heads are the same.

Good luck with everything.
Thanks! I will check them out this weekend.

Uncle E wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:09 pm Pull it back a bit and you'll have something very good. There's a lot going on, particularly the guitars and the fast sequenced part at 1:48. Cut those out and you'll have a nice atmospheric track. Plus, that great bass line will have space to shine.
I know what you mean! When I first started this hobby, I was putting in a lot of “stuff”. Over the last few years, I think I have toned it down a bit. Considering the song title, I think people would expect chaos in this one.

I have been reading all of the suggestions and I think I will go back and do another mixdown using the new tools that I now have.

Thanks for the input and for listening!

Seems like you weren't aiming for something dynamic, rather just a bed of sonic variety (which you achieved!). To mix this out with more natural percussion, ducks, cuts, boosts etc. proper EQ and imaging would be a lot of work but you might lose the dreamlike layering and blending that unifies the track. IMHO.

Return to “Music Cafe”