[EDM] Bigger Than Life

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Absolutely stellar, fun and stimulating song, but...

(big but)

The opening bells...I think they need (for my taste and hearing) either some type of colorful compression or dynamic tinkering. I could tell from the very first few bars they were gonna be problematic for me. It just keeps hitting my ear (right ear more for some reason) very hard and unpleasantly.

Perhaps going in and adjusting the dynamic levels for each note of the bar, and then just copy and pasting those simple adjustments might help. Or maybe compression done differently might help. Also, heck, maybe even a very slow and subtle filter to allow the tone to constantly change slightly to keep the ear(s) from becoming so quickly fatigued.

Also, it seemed like you perhaps compressed the entire mix to the bass drum? Sounded a little weird to my ear.

All that useless and unsolicited feedback aside, I really loved the song, regardless. I was picking pixels out of an almost perfect image.

No, I didn't compress the audio to the kick drum... (what does that mean?). I only have one compressor on the master bus for the whole sum.

There is no compression for the Kalimba ("bell" playing right from the start). Even no reverb. I only use the Kontakt preset from Cinesamples. Maybe, I should try some compression.

Thanks for the listen though. :-)

Hallo @irpacynot,
is the compression better now? Thanks.

Love the general idea and most of the instruments, especially the pad at 1:16...
I would recommend to brush up the mix a bit. The mix could be more punchy, beginning with the weakest instrument (in my ear) which is the kick drum, I'm afraid :-( But may be I simply have an Idee in my head which is not yours...
Kick: I think it starts by selecting a more present one which has more high harmanics to begin with. Then I think you could add a saturator on it.
In order to make it stand out even more, group the other instruments and add a side-chain compressor on this group. Set the side-chain compressor to use the kick as input set attack to 0 and release to 50ms. Thats just for a start. So whenever the kick hits, the other insturment are ducked away and give room to the bdr. Fine tuning the settings of the side-chain compressor is quite an exercise. I would recommend not overdoing the amount of ducking in dBs...
--
Plugin recommendations. I love to use Auburn Lense and LoudMax in my master. Lense is an up to 64 band compressor which helps to even the spectrum a bit. And with LoudMax you can make your track louder up to an desired level in a transparent fashion.
--
If you want you can return the favor of the review here: viewtopic.php?p=8868182#p8868182

I wouldn’t change a thing. It’s freakin huge. I can hear this playing at Mothers on Rush and Division St. all night. (Google it) Perfect title.

Thx.

Very cool track. This is more vibey, retro and laid back than I expected given that "EDM" was in the subject.

Overall I enjoyed it. My only complaint it is extremely loud and had to turn it down a lot to avoid fatigue.

Nice job! :tu:

Loud is loud, that's the business.

To be honest, I didn't know which genre to sort it in. So I chose "EDM". :wink:

Thx again.

Return to “Music Cafe”