ASIO Interface with high impedance headphone output and high quality DAC?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I need an ASIO interface with a solid DAC and high impedance headphone output, inputs aren't massively needed. Will be pulling double duty as primary music listening source as well as for production. Currently using a good DAC and amp, but it has no inputs and I want to dip my toes into hardware, to record into a DAW to make samples out of. Thanks for any advice.

Check out the Motu M series or the Universal Audio Volt series.
I have the Motu M4 and it pairs well with my 250 ohm headphones.
Crystal clear ESS Sabre32 Ultra™ DAC directly into a well powered Amp.

mirDR wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:08 am I need an ASIO interface with a solid DAC and high impedance headphone output, inputs aren't massively needed. Will be pulling double duty as primary music listening source as well as for production. Currently using a good DAC and amp, but it has no inputs and I want to dip my toes into hardware, to record into a DAW to make samples out of. Thanks for any advice.
Wait. You need to drive high impedance (and perhaps not sensitive) headphones, or you want high output impedance?

For the former, the Audient interfaces have strong headphone amps. And overall very good analog I/O specs.

And for the latter, they also have a bit high output impedance at 20 ohm or so. Check Julian Krause’s reviews on YouTube.

If you can spend more money then RME has amazing interfaces.

My bad yeah, I need it to be able to adequately drive mid-impedance, low sensitivity headphones with sufficient power. The iD14 by Audient looks like it will fit the bill nicely. Or the Motu M4. Thanks both.

mirDR wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:48 am My bad yeah, I need it to be able to adequately drive mid-impedance, low sensitivity headphones with sufficient power. The iD14 by Audient looks like it will fit the bill nicely. Or the Motu M4. Thanks both.
Check this too https://headphones.com/pages/headphones ... calculator

For MOTU the output latency on Windows seems to suffer vs competitors, if you play VIs live a lot it may be a factor. Not RTL, specifically speaking about output latency. Depends on what you’re trying to do.

Audient, for the money, seems to not have this issue. SSL also has high latencies, as does Focusrite.

I have Focusrite and RME, RME is ridiculously efficient but extra cost.

If you have a Mac then MOTU should be fine

Also the audient interfaces need a proper USB-C port to provide enough power for the headphones.

If you don’t have that then MOTU is fine

That's good to know about needing a proper USB C port for PD. I don't have that, I might be able to add a PCIe card with powered C ports, but then I'd need a new motherboard (full ATX) then I'd feel like an idiot staying on AM4 so would end up with new CPU and RAM too lol.

Seems like MOTU wins as a result of that. Appreciate the input.

Check also the universal audio Volt range - they also seem to have strong headphone amps, and are also decent interfaces. Check if they need higher power USB to provide that power.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”