Groove template and pool

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can we talk about the lack of Groove templates and pool in Bitwig.

I mean, I love this Daw but I can't live with straight grooves on drums any longer, especially on Breakbeat and hip hop production, it just doesn't drive enough and I'm not feeling the built in shuffle at all. This is essential for dance music production IMO.

I'm thinking of shifting back to Ableton for the time being to be honest. And I don't really want to.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

borez wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:37 am Can we talk about the lack of Groove templates and pool in Bitwig.

I mean, I love this Daw but I can't live with straight grooves on drums any longer, especially on Breakbeat and hip hop production, it just doesn't drive enough and I'm not feeling the built in shuffle at all. This is essential for dance music production IMO.

I'm thinking of shifting back to Ableton for the time being to be honest. And I don't really want to.

I guess you already did, but if not, please forward what you wrote to Bitwig.
I think it adds quite some urgency to your feature wish, when stating that you might actually switch back to Ableton. Not that this type of rhethoric is "needed" to convince them - they might hear that a lot actually from a lot of people for all kinds of features.
But: if it’s the truth, i also see no reason for not mentioning that one might leave Bitwig due to a missing feature.

Concerning the topic of grooves: Polarity did some videos where he builds grid patches to enable a nice groove / groove versatility.
But yea... as always, i prefer solutions beyond the grid.
Be it audio to midi, groove pool, or global scale settings... all of those are just SO Much more smooth when being part of the DAW, via shortcuts, a whole groove list, even within each clip, etc. , compared to fiddly grid stuff.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

Yes, I've already sent stuff to Bitwig about this. I've watched the Polarity videos and was already experimenting in the grid with similar but it's a bit of a hit and miss workaround, far too convoluted to be doing in a working session to be honest. Like you said, it's needs to be part of the DAW.

I did get a reply from the Bitwig team today saying that it's on their "wishlist for future consideration." So it's not even passed the consideration stage yet I guess.

I guess back to Ableton I go for a while with the professional dance projects and studio DJ sessions
:(

I'll still use Bitwig for my ambient projects though where the groove is not so mission critical.

borez wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:37 am Can we talk about the lack of Groove templates and pool in Bitwig.

Been on my top 3 list for a long time. It's not something Bitwig users generally ask for though. For example, on the Bitwish site, groove tools are not a popular request. I think it's around #50 on the list in terms of most requested.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:40 pm

Been on my top 3 list for a long time. It's not something Bitwig users generally ask for though. For example, on the Bitwish site, groove tools are not a popular request. I think it's around #50 on the list in terms of most requested.
Bitwish is weird, you can only vote on 5 items. You'd think it would be higher with people who make dance music though, for sure. It's funny really, in the London based production classes I teach on Ableton and Logic Pro a lot of students are completely unaware that the groove feature is actually there or what it does, especially with Logic Pro. Maybe they're just used to ploddy beats :wink:

Yep, Bitwig needs this. I get by with finger drumming but for faster stuff, grooves I'm not able to do, experimenting, or just different drum machine specific grooves a Groove Pool like function would be very useful. It's another one of those things I'd expect to see in a DAW like Bitwig. :shrug:
-JH

I'm convinced they've been laying the groundwork for better groove functionality with the improvements to onset detection and audio quantize functionality from 5.1.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

It's not a groove pool, but could you emulate this with tempo automation, e.g. via LFO with custom curves? Asking because I don't know.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Fannon wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:39 am It's not a groove pool, but could you emulate this with tempo automation, e.g. via LFO with custom curves? Asking because I don't know.
You can, but then tempo sync'ed fx etc. will get weird.

this, an arranger track and retrospective record/midi capture, been asking for years now. Love Bitwig though :love:

Return to “Bitwig”