How to finish tracks and organise into albums?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know if I am in the right section, or if the question is too vague, but here's the frustration.

I'm an ambient kind of guy, I've created a LOT of tracks which I'm happy with generally. Some could do with better mastering, but on the whole they sound good to me. What's frustrating me is I want to put together an album or albums of these tracks. When I try to do this, I get lost in all the different tracks and the ones I think work together, after a few listens, I start changing my mind.

I also tried Landr demo, and was wowed with the difference in quality, and they have something on their site about help getting tracks to work together well. I've looked at Sononym which is great for organising tracks by pitch or other criteria.

Just some pointers to help. I'm not really considering it as a big launch thing, just for my own satisfaction really, and possibly to use to create albums for therapy (clinical).

Thanks in advance. Apologies also if I don't reply immediately, but I promise I will reply to any responses.
Why not try some amazing fractal graphics for your art? I've got a site all about them at JWildfire Sanctuary

Start with a clear vision or theme for your album. This could be based on a narrative, an emotion, or a specific musical style. The order of tracks should reflect the journey you want to take your listeners on. Think about the mood, tempo, and key of each track.
99Beats.com - Exclusive Beats Marketplace

I usually make a rough album track list and listen it in this order a few times over some weeks. And then i refine the order of the songs so that the flow fits. That way you will also find songs that doesn't fit into the flow. Completely different instruments, tempo, feeling ...

bookofthoth wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:31 pmI've created a LOT of tracks which I'm happy with generally. Some could do with better mastering, but on the whole they sound good to me. What's frustrating me is I want to put together an album or albums of these tracks.
You should choose your strongest work. Sequence your album with how it will flow in mind. Start with the song you think makes the strongest opening statement. It will set the tone and expectations for the album. It should be something that wows the listener, preferably early on. Or it can build, but it needs to keep their attention and have a payoff at least equal to the time invested to get there. Second song should probably be your poppiest, most “commercial” track. This is often where the first single gets placed. After that, you can scale back a bit, change up the energy and the tempo for a song or two, and then bring the listener back with another high payoff song, the second single off the album. After that, you can throw in some deeper cuts. Longer songs, more experimental or arty pieces, etc. finally, you want to end with your most epic song. This is the song that brings it home, but leaves them wanting more. You want to close out with your opus.

Once you’ve got your track sequence, you should master them as an album. Forget about the “mastering” you did already, and go back to your original mixdowns. You want to master your songs together so they have uniform volume, dynamics, and balance. That’s what will make it sound like an album.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

99beats wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:32 am Start with a clear vision or theme for your album. This could be based on a narrative, an emotion, or a specific musical style. The order of tracks should reflect the journey you want to take your listeners on. Think about the mood, tempo, and key of each track.
Thank you, that's useful. I like the idea of narrative, telling a story as it were. That will help me break down tracks to specific ideas.
Why not try some amazing fractal graphics for your art? I've got a site all about them at JWildfire Sanctuary

Tiles wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:32 am I usually make a rough album track list and listen it in this order a few times over some weeks. And then i refine the order of the songs so that the flow fits. That way you will also find songs that doesn't fit into the flow. Completely different instruments, tempo, feeling ...
Thanks, you're right. I do have problems doing this, but that's me, I make a rough list. Then decide order, then after a few weeks I don't like the order so I change and change. I then have a new list, then after a few weeks I start doubting. More to do with me, than the method I think.

jamcat wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:38 am You should choose your strongest work. Sequence your album with how it will flow in mind. Start with the song you think makes the strongest opening statement. It will set the tone and expectations for the album. It should be something that wows the listener, preferably early on. Or it can build, but it needs to keep their attention and have a payoff at least equal to the time invested to get there. Second song should probably be your poppiest, most “commercial” track. This is often where the first single gets placed. After that, you can scale back a bit, change up the energy and the tempo for a song or two, and then bring the listener back with another high payoff song, the second single off the album. After that, you can throw in some deeper cuts. Longer songs, more experimental or arty pieces, etc. finally, you want to end with your most epic song. This is the song that brings it home, but leaves them wanting more. You want to close out with your opus.

Once you’ve got your track sequence, you should master them as an album. Forget about the “mastering” you did already, and go back to your original mixdowns. You want to master your songs together so they have uniform volume, dynamics, and balance. That’s what will make it sound like an album.
Wow, thanks, that's a clear method. I like the idea of it, I'll have to figure out how that maps to the style I have, as I don't have songs or singles type tracks, but I get the gist entirely and I think I can apply it. Actually writing these suggestions on paper to stick on my desk to remind me. Get sidetracked far too easily.

Good thoughts on the mastering as well, better to master once the tracks have been identified and placed.

Release your tracks separately. Why compile them in an album? It's a form from vinyl/CD era. Or make a mini-album, single. Compilation containing two or three songs.

Depends on how you distribute your music. When it comes to streaming, single-track releases can even increase the number of streams. But when you're on the road and doing concerts, you sell CDs as part of the merchandise.
bookofthoth wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:25 pm
Tiles wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:32 am I usually make a rough album track list and listen it in this order a few times over some weeks. And then i refine the order of the songs so that the flow fits. That way you will also find songs that doesn't fit into the flow. Completely different instruments, tempo, feeling ...
Thanks, you're right. I do have problems doing this, but that's me, I make a rough list. Then decide order, then after a few weeks I don't like the order so I change and change. I then have a new list, then after a few weeks I start doubting. More to do with me, than the method I think.
Okay, then think about it this way: the album is one big song with a dozen tracks. And now think about how you can make the parts of this one big song make fit best together.

Ask your cards how to arrange your album..
(seriously)

1. Good option (I've thought about it too):
ahuman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:59 am Ask your cards how to arrange your album..
(seriously)
It's possible to turn it into a sort of "rutual". Thoroughly prepared. And then accept the result without criticizing it.

2. To generalize, it's possible to "delegate" this task to sombody or even something else (cards, dices, random number generators are something). Sometimes other people make a job for us. Faster and better.

Or, may be... may I do it for you? For a modest payment :P

(I'm joking)

Return to “Production Techniques”