Should I adjust the master level?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm mainly considering this with regard to gainstaging. Since the master level defaults at -3db, and I want to get my tracks at -18, does the master level affect the reading of the individual track level meters? Because I know if I lower or raise the volume for an individual track, it will affect the reading of the level meter as well.

So, should I bring the master level up to 0db when I begin projects?

I do. It's set at -3dB as a courtesy to give you head room. If you're mastering your own projects or working toward mastering and know how to leave your own headroom, you can bring the master bus to 0dB.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Watchful wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:24 pm I do. It's set at -3dB as a courtesy to give you head room. If you're mastering your own projects or working toward mastering and know how to leave your own headroom, you can bring the master bus to 0dB.
Ah, thanks.

Would leaving it at -3db (the default) affect the true nature of the noise floor when gain staging?

Not really, as the master bus is all about output and gain staging is managing the input. In other words, if you overload your input, it doesn't much matter where you output is set.

Any noise floor issues will be before your audio interface, so you're absolutely right to want to gain stage everything before it gets recorded.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Watchful wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:50 pm Not really, as the master bus is all about output and gain staging is managing the input. In other words, if you overload your input, it doesn't much matter where you output is set.

Any noise floor issues will be before your audio interface, so you're absolutely right to want to gain stage everything before it gets recorded.
:tu: Thanks

Return to “Tracktion”