Help with side chain compression

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
I'm trying to learn how to side chain all the tracks in my EDM song to the Kick drum in Reaper but the side chain track is clipping, not sure if my routing or something else if off.
I attached a screen shot of my set up in Reaper.
Also I'm trying to add a filter effect to the "build" sections in my song but not happy with the result, I automated turning the plugin on/off but it sounds too abrupt, not sure the best method and also what is the best type of filter for this type of effect?
Here's the latest mix and screenshots of my side chain set-up:
https://jmtee.bandcamp.com/track/for-all-my-lads-yop
Reaper_SideChain.PNG
Reaper_SideChain_Routing.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

No idea about Reaper specifically, but for side chaining, I generally don't use a kick or any instrument but rather use something like LFO Tool, Shaperbox Volume Shaper, or Kickstart2. Slaving side chain to kick is imprecise IMO and unless it's a 'silent' side chain ie. a muted ghost track, you run into problems during breaks, etc.

Are you talking about the filter sweep starting around 50s or so? I would break the build into sections, and render each as audio using tiny crossfades to stitch them back together. Everything in a plugin takes some time, and even a bypass won't necessarily happen instantly. You're getting a few samples worth of unfiltered sound thru which then has to plunge infinitely quickly into the sweep.

Again though, if you have Shaperbox, you can draw something like that in, Shaperbox is extremely precise. But try rendering to audio first.
Last edited by swilow11 on Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sorry hadn't checked back in a while, thanks for the tips, good to know about the tools you recommend I'll check them out!

follow-up question, I downloaded the demo of Shaperbox, for the sidechain, where do I put the instance of Shaperbox??
Wasn't sure if I put it on the Reaper "Master" track, or put Shaperbox instance on a folder that has all the synths, vocals, etc. that I want to duck/sidechain compress?

Thanks!!

IMO you should just get Kickstart2. It's the same company that made ShaperBox except it's a straight to the point sidechain/ducking plug-in, instead of a full on multi-fx plugin. It's only 15$ and its a super easy sidechain. Just by seeing a screenshot you'll be able to tell how easy it smoothly ducks the audio. It's got a free trial too so you can test it before buying. 👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JMTee_ wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:25 pm follow-up question, I downloaded the demo of Shaperbox, for the sidechain, where do I put the instance of Shaperbox??
Wasn't sure if I put it on the Reaper "Master" track, or put Shaperbox instance on a folder that has all the synths, vocals, etc. that I want to duck/sidechain compress?

Thanks!!
I don't use Reaper, but I wouldn't necessarily put Shaperbox on the master track unless you want the whole track, including kick, getting ducked. Group and buss tracks together and apply one instance of Shaperbox to that track.

Above poster repeated good advice, Kickstart2 is perfect for side chain. Shaperbox does a massive amount besides volume automation, whether you need that or not is another question.

thanks very much, great tip about Kickstart2, I'll give it a try!

Hi all,
Just uploaded a new song, tried using Kickstart to sidechain the bass, and tried shaperbox on some of the vocals,
https://jmtee.bandcamp.com/track/been-good

let me know any thoughts on:
mix/master
performance/arrangement
anything else

Thanks!

Just following up to see if anyone had feedback on a new EDM song:
https://jmtee.bandcamp.com/track/been-good

let me know any thoughts on:
-mix/master
-performance/arrangement
-anything else

Thanks!

Maybe re-post your song in the proper sub forum, you may get more listens and feedback that way. There’s a sub forum for it, Music Cafe, I think.

With ReaComp opened in the FX window of your target track (the one to be ducked), look for a checkbox or option that says “Enable Sidechain/Aux Input” or similar. This option may vary slightly depending on the version of Reaper and the skin/theme you are using. Ensure this option is checked or enabled.

Still within ReaComp, set the detector input to "Auxiliary Input L+R" or a similarly named option. This tells ReaComp to listen to the external (side-chain) input to trigger the compression.

Go to the track you want to use as the trigger (e.g., the kick drum track).
Create a Send: Click the “Route” button on the kick track. In the routing window, click on “Add New Send” and select the track with ReaComp (the track you want to duck).

In the send configuration options, set the send to “Pre-Fader” to ensure the side-chain signal is independent of the kick track’s fader position. Then, assign the send to a channel corresponding to the side-chain input in ReaComp, usually channels 3/4 or higher since 1/2 are the main outputs.

But if all these seem complicated and you want a quick result, I would do precisely what jm193 said above. Kickstart offers instant sidechain compression effects without the need to route audio signals manually. So, go with this plugin for fast results.
99Beats.com - Exclusive Beats Marketplace

thanks I got Kickstart and used it on this new track I just uploaded:
https://jmtee.bandcamp.com/track/piano-house

let me know what you think :)

A compressor/expander is an automatic level fader.

Any compressor/expander is to some extent replaceable by manual volume automation.

So if you want a precise side-chain signal, then just generate such signal and use that, rather than some other track. DAWs such as Cubase allow one to draw any waveform, or you could use a synth to approximate a suitable envelope. You don't need a compressor for this. Merely make the envelope drive a volume fader.

I haven't quite used this for side-chain compressors tbh, because I think that good compressors like Flux Pure have such nice envelopes that they tend to give what I look for. Melda Production's compressors have manually drawable envelopes.

Return to “Production Techniques”