Safely regulating latency / buffering within Waveform?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was messing around with the free version of Nectar, and it instantly overloads my CPU as soon as the processing is complete. Was hoping to perhaps make some changes to help with that, but I can't say I'm well versed in doing so. Don't wanna mess anything up, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Do you mean Nectar Elements? I'm not aware of a free version of Nectar (assuming you're referring to Izotope).
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Watchful wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:17 pm Do you mean Nectar Elements? I'm not aware of a free version of Nectar (assuming you're referring to Izotope).
Yes, I'm sorry. I forgot it was free for a limited time. But yeah, it's Elements, I believe.

Hmm. Not familiar with Nectar Elements.

I've seen some bad latency on Ozone for some plugins added *after* I use Ozone, but haven't experienced this with Nectar.

Watchful wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:39 pm Hmm. Not familiar with Nectar Elements.

I've seen some bad latency on Ozone for some plugins added *after* I use Ozone, but haven't experienced this with Nectar.
But how should I proceed with regard to raising or lowering the buffering in Waveform?

I'm not sure.

I will ask one more question, if I may--have you added any plugins to that track *after* you put in Nectar Elements? I ask because that's where I've seen the issues with Ozone--after it does its thing, if I add a plugin later, I do often see bad latency on that particular track. But given that Ozone is a "finishing" tool, I can live with that.

Nectar, even as Elements, shouldn't be so irritating. I've added all sorts of plugins after adding Nectar, on many projects, across many tracks and never had this issue.

I'd you want to experiment with buffering in Waveform, do so carefully. This might not be a Waveform issue, and it may have adverse effects on other projects.

Watchful wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:12 pm I'm not sure.

I will ask one more question, if I may--have you added any plugins to that track *after* you put in Nectar Elements? I ask because that's where I've seen the issues with Ozone--after it does its thing, if I add a plugin later, I do often see bad latency on that particular track. But given that Ozone is a "finishing" tool, I can live with that.

Nectar, even as Elements, shouldn't be so irritating. I've added all sorts of plugins after adding Nectar, on many projects, across many tracks and never had this issue.

I'd you want to experiment with buffering in Waveform, do so carefully. This might not be a Waveform issue, and it may have adverse effects on other projects.
Hmm...yeah, I wasn't sure about that, but wanted to be cautious just in case.

But no, I was using elements as a last plugin before exporting an individual track -- kind of processing tracks through it before individually exporting them for later use. But it just kills my CPU. Pretty sure it's just my old PC. Was hoping that perhaps adjusting the buffering of Waveform might help alleviate some of that.

Let me ask you this, then. I don't use Waveform to record tracks. Everything recorded is done outside of Waveform. I simply use it to mix and master, add samples, etc. So, since I don't have to be concerned with the minor delay between executing playback and actually hearing the playback, would increasing the buffering really matter?

In your case, increasing the buffers might help if you were seeing audio breakups or overloading issues. If used for RECORDING purposes you want as low a latency as possible, so lowest settings would achieve that DURING RECORDING and then you can later increase those during mixing or playback.

This is assuming all the delay compensation is working properly. I suppose you could try setting REALLY high buffers, and see if anything is incorrectly processed - like severe timing issues. Then set it back to a normal/high level with a greater confidence level.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Peter Widdicombe wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:23 pm In your case, increasing the buffers might help if you were seeing audio breakups or overloading issues. If used for RECORDING purposes you want as low a latency as possible, so lowest settings would achieve that DURING RECORDING and then you can later increase those during mixing or playback.

This is assuming all the delay compensation is working properly. I suppose you could try setting REALLY high buffers, and see if anything is incorrectly processed - like severe timing issues. Then set it back to a normal/high level with a greater confidence level.
The default seemed to be set at 480ms. I did a little more than double that number, but unfortunately, there was no apparent change.

And yeah, this strictly for mixing purposes.

Return to “Tracktion”