Mixing/Mastering: boosting 60hz vs 100hz on the 2bus?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sometimes I slam a Pultec EQP-1A on the mixbus because I want more lowend and both 60hz and 100hz boost sound good. Different but good. And I dunno which one to get away with!

Do you have any considerations to take into account?

Thanks!

Mixdown both, and listen to them with company on a variety of sound systems/locations. You'll get a good idea of which one to go with (if either.)
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

As above - no real right or wrong answer... it will be determined by the song, the accuracy of your monitoring / room, and your personal taste :)

As already noted, this is an unanswerable Q seeing there is no context, ie your Song.
60hz is low and round. 100Hz is more punchy. While the 60 may seem nicer, the average listener may not have much 60 in their system in which case while the warm round feel is still there, it may be better to get punch instead. listen to Joan Jett "I Love Rock & Roll" and note how that mix is all Punch and Cut. That is a lot of the reason that it feels the way that it does.
https://youtu.be/wMsazR6Tnf8?si=UJUGBYXs6vqUg-KJ
Whereas the bass in this is warmer and hangs under the music itself
https://youtu.be/RLTJ95kj9ng?si=CG648GBZyYBYbgiA
:-)

There's a difference between "boosting 60Hz" and "boosting with a Pultec set to 60Hz". Those curves are very gentle and the nominal frequency may not sit where you think it does!

Thank you very much for your insightful replies.
I will analyze and experiment with them at my pace.

I too had noticed that 60hz is more round and 100hz more punchy.
I like both of them, :)

Unless your production is experimental (i.e. it does not contain well-defined/conventional frequency structures), then you usually decide during production, whether your "bottom" will be around 60Hz or around 100-130Hz.

Usually your mix's power is only either, since using both will mud both. Bass mixing is a lot about making a tradeoff between ~60Hz and 100-130Hz. But you already know which one is your main bass based on your selections at composition.

So you want to "boost" the one that's your main bass, not the bass that's not.

The 100-130Hz is more common than 60Hz due to the fact that it's more audible, whereas the 60Hz regions is more about feeling ("chest thumping bass") than audible pitch.

Most importantly:

You cannot construct your bass in mixing.
What comes there, must already be there in some form.
The EQ only makes a tradeoff between what parts of the sound you want more, and what parts you want less. It doesn't add parts.

Return to “Production Techniques”