[mixing] Share Delay Tips and Tricks beyond basic stuff

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Beyond mono slapback delay, stereo delay basics or short rooms I don't know anything about delays. I have found nothing online beyond basic stuff. Do you have something to share?
TIA

For drums:

This trick is hit or miss, at least with my experience. You make a drum bus, now add a track (or send) with delay (fully wet), and send the bus to it. Make sure the track or send with delay is set to pre fx as opposed to post fx so if you turn the volume all the way down on the bus, you can still hear the drums through the track with delay.
Once it's all set, you'll want the volume on the delay track to be lower than the bus track. It's done to your taste and is determined by the following:

- play the song and mess with the delay time until you find the sweet spot where the delayed drums trail behind - making the beat sound fuller and also giving it a certain "flowing" groove.
It's really really cool and I found out about this trick by a jamaican reggae artist.
It's not easy though and at least for me doesn't always work. I suppose it also depends on the style of music.
I did it on a rock tune and it just gave it this really cool groove.
The other thing to note is you want to make sure that when you start the song, and the delay kicks in, it's not too abrupt or obvious where it distracts. This is where it gets a bit tricky.
Anyhow, there you have it.

Return to “Production Techniques”