Loudness of my Final Mix (doesn't compare well to references)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have attached a screenshot of the Waveforms of my track and 3 commercially released reference tracks.

i have used Compression, Limiting and EQ on each individual track in my instrumental, but i can't get it close the reference tracks loudness levels.

My track = -12 LUFS | Peak = -0.4
Reference 1 = -7.4 LUFS | Peak = 0
Reference 2 = -8.8 LUFS | Peak = 0
Reference 3 = -8.3 LUFS | Peak = 0

The tonal balance of my track is relatively similar but the loudness levels are very different, and it's like that with pretty much every track i create when i compare it to a reference.

Many Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I think we have another loudness war victim here. Single-digit loudness cannot be achieved without doing damage. And for what? If your track is put on a streaming service, with its current -12dB LUFS its volume will be reduced by 2dB already. If you manage to shave off the extra 4dB you're looking for, its volume will then be reduced by a total of 6dB by the streaming service.

I don't understand why you're willing to give up the dynamical range. Just because others manage to do it? I honestly fail to see the reasoning behind that, plain stupid bandwagon behaviour.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

The references are too loud.

It's only a problem if your tracks are to be combined with references in a mix/playlist by a person (or algorithm) too stupid to level-match them.

This is, unfortunately, a possible scenario. :ud:

imrae wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:33 pm The references are too loud.

It's only a problem if your tracks are to be combined with references in a mix/playlist by a person (or algorithm) too stupid to level-match them.

This is, unfortunately, a possible scenario. :ud:
Yeah i understand what your saying, reading it just reminded me of a video Dan Worrall made on youtube a while ago on this subject. which i forgot about.

i appreciate your time :)

If you look in the comments of that video I recall there was a DJ complaining that they can't use volume controls because the other DJs already have everything maxed :dog:

imrae wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:13 pm If you look in the comments of that video I recall there was a DJ complaining that they can't use volume controls because the other DJs already have everything maxed :dog:
Hahaa :ud:

References are already clipped and limited.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Integrated LUFS is a measure over time. Your track has many more quiet parts across the timeline, so it's going to be lower. You can't change that without fundamentally changing the nature of your track. So it's an apple vs oranges comparison anyway.

Sekops does make a good point.
Your track has a lot more low energy sections, so it's not worth comparing LUFS with those references.
It would be more sensible to create a breakless loop for your track, and compare the refs to that instead.

But that said, your track's kick doesn't even keep it up to zero db.
But, if you can't tell us what genre this is, help will be limited.
Your track does square off near the middle (though looks like some dc offset there?), and if it's only squaring at one little section, then maybe it's not mixed right?
Sekops wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:23 am Integrated LUFS is a measure over time. Your track has many more quiet parts across the timeline, so it's going to be lower. You can't change that without fundamentally changing the nature of your track. So it's an apple vs oranges comparison anyway.

Sekops wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:23 am Integrated LUFS is a measure over time. ...
Exactly. To estimate the overall volume of a track, LUFS-I (for "I = integrated") is best suited.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

BertKoor wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:55 pm I think we have another loudness war victim here. Single-digit loudness cannot be achieved without doing damage. And for what? If your track is put on a streaming service, with its current -12dB LUFS its volume will be reduced by 2dB already. If you manage to shave off the extra 4dB you're looking for, its volume will then be reduced by a total of 6dB by the streaming service.

I don't understand why you're willing to give up the dynamical range. Just because others manage to do it? I honestly fail to see the reasoning behind that, plain stupid bandwagon behaviour.
This!
Plus, LUFS Measurement is constantly changing. Also different platforms allow for different measurements. Forget about comparing it to other people's tracks, it's pointless unless it's an album of your own. And even then, it's all about how it sounds not LUFS BS.
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Your reference tracks look way too normalized, Are you referencing off CDs? The AI Master tells me CD is -9 LUFS and that's pretty loud. Spotify wants -14, Amazon wants -11 as does iTunes, so I try to -12 and let them deal with it.

Return to “Production Techniques”