Reverb inside or outside bus

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do you keep a reverb inside a bus or outside?
Quite often you will use a compressor and eq and maybe saturation on bus, but if you keep reverb inside bus, it will also be compressed. So...?

The tune will anyway be compressed (usually?) on mastering a bit.
It depends. Sometimes on the instrument channel or group to glue it into the sound, mostly on the sends.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

I never use reverb inside a bus. It might bother the other passengers.

Inside the bus: No reverb + no smoking! :?
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

legendCNCD wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:34 pm The tune will anyway be compressed (usually?) on mastering a bit.
It depends. Sometimes on the instrument channel or group to glue it into the sound, mostly on the sends.
Yes on the sends, but you can have inside one bus (for example drum bus) or have the send track outside the bus

I sometimes put a reverb on a bus, mostly drums. Reason being to get proper directional reverb from the stereo insert. It's rare that I don't compress a drum buss or do something else to it, so I'll have the drums going to a group which is processed etc, then route that bus to a 2nd one which has the reverb on it (I generally don't want to compress reverbs and want them clean). I have done that occasionally on instrument groups but found it didn't really add much for me - I process instruments quite differently to each other more often. The gains are somewhat minimal in terms of a whole mix, but sometimes works well, and depends on the music style quite a lot...

kritikon wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:04 pm I sometimes put a reverb on a bus, mostly drums. Reason being to get proper directional reverb from the stereo insert. It's rare that I don't compress a drum buss or do something else to it, so I'll have the drums going to a group which is processed etc, then route that bus to a 2nd one which has the reverb on it (I generally don't want to compress reverbs and want them clean). I have done that occasionally on instrument groups but found it didn't really add much for me - I process instruments quite differently to each other more often. The gains are somewhat minimal in terms of a whole mix, but sometimes works well, and depends on the music style quite a lot...
That's exactly why I think it's better to have reverb outside a bus in order a compressor not to affect it

chk071 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:35 pm I never use reverb inside a bus. It might bother the other passengers.
I think Don Buchla and the Merry Pranksters would disagree… https://www.memsproject.info/ken-keseys-buchla-box-and-the-prototype-panel

DCrown wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:10 pm
That's exactly why I think it's better to have reverb outside a bus in order a compressor not to affect it
You might have passed over where I mentioned using 2 groups. Specifically so that the 2nd group with the reverb DOESN'T get compressed. TBH that's another reason I might want a bus insert reverb, because if you have reverbs on the original drums, which are then sent to a group for compressing, it means your reverb has been sent to the original drum channels which is a different sound to the drums that end up compressed in the group, and that can sound odd. It's a purely creative decision, but I like my reverb to ping off the final sound of its instrument, not a prior version - i.e. your reverb will be different to the actual drum you end up with. Unless you use a send on the actual group, but that may mean you don't get proper directional reverb (I'm reasonably sure many DAWs don't send real stereo placement information over the send, certainly hw desks rarely do.)

So my group reverb isn't compressed, despite the drums are. It's reverbing compressed drums, not compressing reverbed drums - a subtle but important difference. It's a useful (occasionally) trick to route a group to another group. Not difficult to do in DAWs nowadays. :shrug:

Return to “Production Techniques”