Stuck notes / panic button not working

Official support for: kv331audio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone else noticed stuck notes keeping sounds sustaining in 2.9.16? It's especially noticeable on pads and sequences.

I took the DAW out of the equation and had it happen in Element too, using just the in-synth virtual keyboard.

When this happened the panic button also did not work. In fact it doesn't seem to do anything for me at all on any patch.

I can't reliably repro the stuck note but it definitely happened.

I've had this problem for years, and it's really bothering me because SynthMaster 2 is otherwise so fantastic. In my case, the DAW (Reaper) panic button does work sometimes, but I don't want the problem to happen in the first place because I'm trying to practise playing live (to myself in my bedroom) with multiple SynthMaster tracks.

I just sent a contact form to KVR and hoping to get a reply from them, but I'm bringing it up here too just in case any team members are watching here or I don't get a reply to my contact form.

I'm using SynthMaster 2 VST (version 2.9) on Reaper (version 6.81).

I made a video replicating the problem, which you can see below along with the message I sent to KVR:

[Start]
A problem that has persisted for years across multiple versions of Reaper and multiple laptops (see video below):

I use a midi keyboard with Reaper to practise playing. To change between different sounds, I use assignable buttons 1 to 4 on my keyboard to toggle 'solo' on tracks 1 to 4 on Reaper (so when I press button 1, track 1 is the only one playing sound, then when I simultaneously press buttons 1 and 2, track 1 switches off and track 2 switches on, letting me play sound from it).

Sometimes when switching between tracks in this way while playing, a note will hang on one or both of the SynthMaster tracks. It doesn't happen with other VSTs, so I don't think it's a Reaper problem (at least not solely). My internet searches have also found this problem associated with specific VSTs, SynthMaster being one of the main ones.

The same issue happens if I change the assignable buttons to toggle 'mute' instead of 'solo' and start all the tracks as muted (so the track I want to hear gets unmuted when I press its button).

Usually I can cancel the hanging note afterwards by pressing F3, which is Reaper's panic button for 'Send all notes off to all MIDI outputs / plug-ins'. However, sometimes I can't. Also I don't want the issue to happen at all while I am playing.

I've searched all over the internet for fixes. Many people have had the problem but none of the proposed fixes work for me or some of those people (e.g. on Reaper itself, putting either the JS: Midi Sanitiser or ReaControlMIDI plugins at the front of the FX list for every track doesn't work for me).

I would guess that the issue has something to do with the SynthMaster VST detecting 'note on' when you press a keyboard key and 'note off' when you let go of it, but if the VST is turned off while 'note on' is still being registered, it stays 'on' forever. Pressing the track back on and off doesn't fix the problem, only closing the entire project (and sometimes pressing F3).

I am guessing there is not currently a fix for it as so many people have posted the same issue without a resolution, but please tell me if there actually is a fix. Otherwise, is the team able to tackle this problem that seems to be common among many users and affects me every time I try to play a song using multiple SynthMaster tracks?

Video of bug: https://youtu.be/Ul17aLw0pjQ
[End]

Return to “KV331 Audio”