Great news with VST3

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I buyed Steinberg Halion Absolute to use all those great instruments in MuLab.

Not yet successfully. All that Steinberg stuff seems to work. There is a standalone app called "Halion 7" which works with my UR242 audio interface.

I expected, that the integration in MuLab is as simple as with my Zebra2 for example. But it isnt. I have no idea how to preceede. Using the "Steinberg Library Manager" and moving a plugin to my D:\VSTPlugins\Steinberg folder? It copies files with the extension .vstpreset and .vstsound but MuLab cant read them.

Any ideas?

In Plugin Manager, click 'Add Plugins' and point to C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 (or wherever if you changed them).

This should allow HAlion and others to be loaded in a rack, and from within Halion you can select the library you want.

If plugin is VST3 one you should find it manually as a file with *.vst3 extension.
Then in Mulab 'INSERT MODULE' menu you should choose 'PLUGINS' and scroll to the end of the list where you'll see 'Browse for plugin..' line. Click on it and point your *.vst3 file in the directory it possesses on your drive. Plugin will get loaded. And next time you call 'INSERT MODULE' menu, your plugin will be seen among other instruments.

In Steinbergs Library Manager I can select a plugin and choose "Move". Then it copies *.vstsound files to a folder of my choice for beeing plugged in. MuLab seems not to recognize those files as dlls. The are "Steinberg ressource files".

Does anyone know, how I can export .vst3 files? Maybe there is a .vst3 plugin, which can read the .vstsound files. The Steinberg software is full of buzz words, but lacks in step-by-step instructions.

@koalaboy - the "Plugin Manager" seems to be a tool inside Cubase. I dont have Cubase installed.

They're not plugins. vstsound files are Steinberg proprietary loops and soundsets. I think you have to use the Steinberg Library manager to install them, perhaps.

Plugin manager is within mulab, and lets you point to where VST files are. For VST3, unless you specifically installed them somewhere else, they're where I stated in my previous reply.

Last edited by koalaboy on Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In MuLab, click the "MULAB" button at the top left of the window.

In the menu, click the "Plugin Manager".

In the popup, click the "Add Plugins" button at the left of lower edge.

In the directory choose, find the location where you chose to install Halion. If you did not get a choice, or chose the default, then you likely want the default location for VST3 plugins, which is "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST3" on Windows. (EDIT: add "\Steinberg" to default location.)

Once you're in Halion, nothing is to do with MuLab and you'll need to ask Steinberg support or forums for further help.

You can, of course, save a MUX Patch containing a Halion instance - but whether this does what you want it to is down to Halion.
Last edited by pljones on Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great, I found it - I search on C: for the .vst3 files and found them in different folders under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST3\The Grand\....

Thank you all for your help!

Little personal advice for VST. VST behavior is not standard for preset. I dont use the pluging manager because i don't want parsing huge amount of vst files . Mulab is only Daw able to load only the Vst you need in your project and it's fine. For my personal purpose i put each VST format in there own folder and subfolder ( /vst32 /vst64 /vst3 and /clap ). When you install vst , most time you will be asked where to put your vst dll. If not , you can copy dll or folder from standard location (windows /program Files to your own folder . It is not working every time but most plugins are working. Other problem; some manufacturer are putting there preset and sound files into window /user . My advice put a copy for backup into your personal folders. Add a litte text help file for each vst who are a bite hard to manage. Many Vst can load preset or banks via option above in mulab vst frame. Sadly most bank are not linked together when you save project. I found a usefull program to find files much more hyghspeed than windows explorer to find lost vst or other files: "Everything" from voidtools.com

Return to “MUTOOLS”