Drag-Drop MIDI Error

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am trying a demo of a MIDI generating tool; InstaComposer, and it has a feature of being able to drag-drop MIDI from its interface into a DAW. I have it loaded it in an MUX (where I route its MIDI tracks to different instruments) but when I attempt the D-D technique into a MuLab track I receive this error: Couldn't open MidiFile.mid

I can export a MIDI file from the plugin so I don't think that feature is locked. Any idea what's happening? Is this action likely to be a MuLab or a plugin issue?
"Music is directly tied to the technology of a culture."
"Modular gear is the craft beer of music."

Are you trying to drop midi from a track, that you loaded via a preset? That plugin's presets are .txt files not .mid, so it makes sense that MuLab cannot find a .mid file. At some point, the plugin must convert its .txt preset to a .mid file that you can drop, but when does it do that?

Perhaps you must first Save your track before you drop, because when you Save a track, the plugin converts it to a .mid file? The Generate command creates a Temp .mid file you can drop, so the txt > mid file conversion workflow may be the issue. Just a thought.

( I demoed it once and did not get along with its workflow, but I remember the preset folder )
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:04 pm Are you trying to drop midi from a track, that you loaded via a preset?
You are correct that the product does use preset .txt files but what I'm doing is dragging the actual generated MIDI information within IC onto a MuLab track (that's the easiest workflow for the plugin). I've saved the generated content to a MIDI file and can drop that into MuLab and have the tracks show up but I want to drag right from the app itself.

In addition, not only are the MIDI not being created in MuLab when I drag from the app, MuLab, at times, is locking up with the error message showing. So, in a way this is a bit of a bug report as well.

sdv wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:36 amwhat I'm doing is dragging the actual generated MIDI information within IC onto a MuLab track
When I demoed IC, I had no problem dropping Generated midi to a track. But you can't consider a limited Demo version to have a bug, e.g. you know that the IC Demo will not load presets and save settings, and other limitations including time, which may cause the Demo to misbehave.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:26 am
sdv wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:36 amwhat I'm doing is dragging the actual generated MIDI information within IC onto a MuLab track
When I demoed IC, I had no problem dropping Generated midi to a track. But you can't consider a limited Demo version to have a bug, e.g. you know that the IC Demo will not load presets and save settings, and other limitations including time, which may cause the Demo to misbehave.
Yep, I suspect it IC's fault. Like you said, I can't open presets (though it will save MIDI files) and other functionality is turned off so I'm sure Jo's coding is not to blame.

sdv wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:36 amJo's coding
Have you fully explored using the Step Sequencer and Event Processors together?
https://www.mutools.com/info/M9/docs/mu ... dules.html

Also this free 7400-MIDI-chord pack:
https://sound7.co.uk/pages/free-midi-ch ... 2a141ada6f
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:41 am
sdv wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:36 amJo's coding
Have you fully explored using the Step Sequencer and Event Processors together?
It could take a lifetime to fully explore the Step Sequencer & Events interactions. Jo's given us a lot to work with. To that point user Calum made a few MUXs to address some note scaling ideas:
viewtopic.php?p=8587650#p8587650

True, there are all kinds of free MIDI packs out there. Here's a guy giving away chords, drums and melodies, thousands in each pack: https://abasynthphony.gumroad.com/l/abamidichordspack
The one nice thing to me about a InstaComposer, Rapid Composer, etc.. app is you can have all the generated MIDI follow a chord progression plus randomization of notes & rhythms for a bit of instant inspiration.

On the plus side - I did figure out how to drag-drop MIDI form InstComposer - one has to click-drag from a particular icon in the app to get the data into MuLab. Not what was shown in a demo video but alas, problem solved and Mu was not the culprit.

sdv wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:01 pmCalum made a few MUXs to address some note scaling ideas:
viewtopic.php?p=8587650#p8587650
Thanks, I missed those MUXs.

Calum has more of those & another video in the MuLib thread:
viewtopic.php?t=483718&start=225

:tu:
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:16 pm :tu:
:tu: