Can anyone ID this classic open hat sound please

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all

I hate to do this as it makes me feel I should be able to do it myself.

I am trying to find the source of the attached open hi hat.

The example is a filtered sample from a 90's house track and because it is filtered, to my ears, it has lost some of its mojo plus I would like original source.

I would guess it comes from a drum machine of some kind and I have checked the Roland 909, 808, 727 and 707 but the ones that have open hats do not come close (and are in the wrong register).

I have hunted and auditioned so many sample packs it is untrue.

I would hugely apprecite if some one could point me in the right direction.

Code: Select all

https://soundcloud.com/user-302625817-576503718/hi-hat-new-2?si=5cc450f37f5b408887c664fcbd61f6eb&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
https://soundcloud.com/user-302625817-5 ... -hat-new-2

PS. Using the tags do not seem to work for some reason.

Sounds like 909 open hihat. I got easily close to that sound using Kit-909 Classic from Ableton Drum Machines pack.
Set Pitch to about -2.5 semitones, Decay about 120 ms, Tone about -40%. Maybe add some EQ if you need to get exactly same sound.

bluesawsq wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:57 pm Sounds like 909 open hihat. I got easily close to that sound using Kit-909 Classic from Ableton Drum Machines pack.
Set Pitch to about -2.5 semitones, Decay about 120 ms, Tone about -40%. Maybe add some EQ if you need to get exactly same sound.
Hi and thank you for your suggestion.

I do not use Ableton as I am a Cubase and Pro Tools user.
I have Rolands VSTi of its 808 and 909 and sadly in the 909 you can not tune the hats.
I ran the output from the 909 through Waves SoundShifter and Torque but to my ears the pitch
shifting ruins the sound.

I have heard this hat sound on many classic 90's House tracks so the source must be out there somewhere.

Record the open hihat from your 909 VST (render/bounce/whatever).
Load that sample into any sampler.
Set tune/pitch/transpose/whatever down by 3 semitones.
Play around with the ADSR: Attack and Sustain to zero and a very short Decay.
Add an eq with a gentle lowpass and a boost (bell) around 2k-3k.
Optionally add a low-shelf to cut some low-end up to around 500hz.

Install the Drumazon 2 demo, pitch the OH down to around 25-30%, route its output to the slot with the Dynamics (set to compression), and smash the transient.

I believe it is from the 2nd movement of Haydn's Symphony No. 94, the "Surprise Symphony."
The 'surprise' was a classical '90s house hi-hat.* No one was expecting that.

* 1790s, of course.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Sound Design”