Using MPC Software in Mulab with an Akai MPC Studio mkII controller

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good day. Mulab seems to route my MIDI VST's into the MPC Software VST better than any of the other DAWs and plugin hosts I've tried but I'm not sure how to get the transport to work, using my MPC Studio mkII (I want it to be my master transport control). Was just wondering if anyone else has tried and succeeded in trying a similar setup and could provide assistance or a basic template, if possible, e.g. when pressing PLAY and Record on my MPC Studio mkII, it will start the transport, so I can record into the MPC software. I use Unify as my MIDI VST software host and then route this MIDI output, using BC Connector, into the MPC Software VST, as MPC Software is dismal with MIDI, so you cannot use MIDI VST's, like Scaler, reMIDI, etc. inside it - only from an external source. This may seem like a convoluted approach for a basic function but Unify is excellent at saving/organizing patches, making it easy to browse and randomize a patch, so it is my preferred patch host - both MIDI and Instrument. Any help or guidance will be much appreciated.

I don't have an MPC but a similar knobby controller.

Put an Event Monitor in the first position in your rack. Turn on your MPC. Then press Play. The Event Monitor will show the CC that your MPC is sending. You don't need to do this first, but it is useful.

To get the transport to work, open Mulab > Shortcuts and the Add popup, then press Play in your MPC Studio. That CC will appear in the Shortcut window. Then click the Function window and click on Play in the long function list (can use Search). Click OK. Now the Play button on your MPC will turn on Play in Mulab. There are zillions of Functions.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Thanks a lot, Michael - will give that a try.

The Studio MK2 or probably the PERFECT (Drum) controller IMO. The perfectly small form size, not TOO small, all the buttons are full sized, and the back-lighting and touchstrip pushes it into a singularity of design. Thast the only thing that I miss about MPC DAW. I bought one of those right before I discovered MuLab. It would be nice to get a template for it.

"Then click the Function window and click on Play in the long function list (can use Search). Click OK. Now the Play button on your MPC will turn on Play in Mulab. There are zillions of Functions."

Eventually I'm going to attempt to invent this. Mulab DOES seem to do everything you need it to do. I just have to figure out how its done.

Thanks, @TorresBob88. I ended up using Mulab in MPC Software, as the transport controls for the MPC Studio mkII are not available as CC's - only note values (and only when Pulic controller is included as a controller, in addition to the standard controller). I tried what @Michael L suggested but only got F5 and F#5 note values when pressing the START and STOP buttons and even then this is only if you add the PUBLIC version of MPC Studio as a controller. It would be ideal to use MPC software in Mulab but I couldn't get it to work as I would like it to. :-(

I use my Akai MPK Mini Plus transport controls fine for MuLab, though I don't bother with the MPC software tbh, I have a Live2 as well and I prefer just using that in standalone and then exporting tracks to MuLab. I like to keep things as simple as possible, or you end up spending too much time trying to figure out how to get something to work as you want instead of just making music! :)

i agree @sl23. The Akai Studio mkII is a rather 'dumb' controller, as it cannot really be used properly (transport, lighting of keys, etc.) without the MPC Software - believe me, I did my homework, although a script has been written to enable use in Ableton but I don't use Ableton... I just wanted to get more mileage out of my controller and like the workflow of mulab, so wanted to combine it with MPC software, so I can get more use out of the controller.

Yeah I get where you're coming from. If it was me... I'd just buy a new keyboard rather than faff about trying to get a donkey to do the work of a shire!

If it doesn't work for you sell it, ditch it, revere it, but get yourself something that works! 😁

Return to “MUTOOLS”