Help me fix corrupt audio file

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So. I have some old songs where the project files are since long gone but I have them bounced out as wav files. My computer were at the time not very good mildly speaking and I often couldn’t play the whole projects before the sound started lagging. Unfortunately you can also hear the lagging in the wav files. It often comes when a lot of sounds/synths start at the same time and the sound kind of disappears for a second. I guess it’s called lagging. It’s not clicks and pops. Is there a way to fix this? I’ve looked at RX10 but it seems more aimed for dialogue fixes.
Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me And My Monkey

Matnids wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:36 am So. I have some old songs where the project files are since long gone but I have them bounced out as wav files. My computer were at the time not very good mildly speaking and I often couldn’t play the whole projects before the sound started lagging. Unfortunately you can also hear the lagging in the wav files. It often comes when a lot of sounds/synths start at the same time and the sound kind of disappears for a second. I guess it’s called lagging. It’s not clicks and pops. Is there a way to fix this? I’ve looked at RX10 but it seems more aimed for dialogue fixes.
very interesting, i dunno any program which could do this, im interested in this as well but i guess you could (might be of course very time consuming) zoom in with a wav program (Audacity) and delete the gaps manually.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Yeah, I’m thinking of some kind of Spectral Editor (which RX obviously got) to make some kind of crossfade. It doesn’t have to be perfect, just get the bumps out. Maybe Audocity then. It comes up a lot in my investigation. But I have never used it. The silence I described is not visually seen in the wav form so deleting that is tough. The best I’ve found so far is actually a simple crossfade. And then masking it with some kind of layered sound. It would be great if there is some kind of magic plug or app that could erase the wav form and make me draw the line in the wav form again. Maybe we’re not there yet…

My guess is if you zoom into the waveform up until you see individual samples, you'll see it. Just chopping out the stuttering part might do the trick.

Do try audacity. It's a basic and capable audio editor.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I’ll try. Sort of that I was thinking. Hopefully that’ll do the trick. But is Audacity superior than using a daw like Logic?

Matnids wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:15 pm I’ll try. Sort of that I was thinking. Hopefully that’ll do the trick. But is Audacity superior than using a daw like Logic?
i dont have Logic but Audacity is great and freeware. just test it out, i find sample editing etc. much easier and faster in Audacity than some payware products! and also you can zoom in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! ;) just try it out.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:19 pm
Matnids wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:15 pm I’ll try. Sort of that I was thinking. Hopefully that’ll do the trick. But is Audacity superior than using a daw like Logic?
i dont have Logic but Audacity is great and freeware. just test it out, i find sample editing etc. much easier and faster in Audacity than some payware products! and also you can zoom in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! ;) just try it out.

Sure I’ll give it a spin or two as soon as my vacation is over. It seems quite a popular choice so it probably has the thing I’m looking for. Thanks a lot. :)

Return to “Production Techniques”