Blue Cat's Re-Guitar 1.3 Released - Now With Piezo Input Support

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Re-Guitar

Blue Cat's Re-Guitar has just been updated, and it's on sale until August 17th, check it out!

What's New:
- Added piezo input pickup type to enhance the sound of acoustic or electric guitars with piezo pickups.
- New switch to invert the phase of the hollow body simulation for a larger palette of sounds.
- Improved integration with MIDI controllers.
- Slightly faster plug-in loading time.

Enjoy! :party:

[original announcement]

Can a piezo really sound like a real acoustic guitar? Check this out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUXZoQBpgNA

Hi,
What about Re-Guitar inside Axiom?
Thank you!

djvd wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:04 am Hi,
What about Re-Guitar inside Axiom?
Thank you!
The new piezo enhancements will be part of the Axiom V2 release, expected soon!

All right!

As I suspect others have done, even before this latest v. 1.3 I've experimented with Re-Guitar on a piezo pickup (just by playing around with other models / settings) to mixed but sometimes interesting results. I'm very much looking forward to trying out the new piezo-specific modeling to see how well it works!

If I may offer some feature requests for Re-guitar:

1. Add CuNiFe Wide Range Humbuckers as an input/output pickup type. I've now got a vintage set, and 2 modern reissues in 3 different guitars. They're great pickups. More output and less hum like a Humbucker, but they sound bright and open like a single coil. Note: vintage versions are wired with 1Meg pots whereas Fender recommends 500k pots for the reissues, which makes them a bit less bright and a tad more mid-heavy as a result. I prefer the 1meg versions, but you really need to roll the tone back a bit.

2. Add some Jazzmaster pickups. These aren't P90s but they don't sound like Strat single coils either. The 60s versions tend to be brighter and higher output. 50s versions are darker. These are traditionally wired with 1meg pots.

3. Add a Jaguar pickup option. These are a lot like Strat pickups with the big difference being "the claw" and being wired into 1meg pots.

4. Notice I keep talking about pots? Would be nice if there were options in the Volume and Tone knob sections to select the pot values (e.g. 250k, 500k, 1meg). Maybe add options for audio taper, or a J-taper (30%), or even linear.

5. Some of this could be mitigated if there were an E-Custom option on the input too. Not sure how feasible that is but might be cool.

I think this would close some gaps in re-guitar. At least with my particular guitar collection. :)

I definitively need that sweet piezo enhancement tech! One question about the integration in Axiom v2: could I use parallel processing inside of Axiom to blend it with the IR that I've used until now for my piezo guitar? By using amps A and B (without them affecting the sound)? And would there be any phase issues while playing live? Then I'd consider waiting for Axiom instead of buying Re-Guitar.

SirkusPi wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:20 pm As I suspect others have done, even before this latest v. 1.3 I've experimented with Re-Guitar on a piezo pickup (just by playing around with other models / settings) to mixed but sometimes interesting results.
That's cheating, isn't it? :lol:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:44 pm If I may offer some feature requests for Re-guitar:

1. Add CuNiFe Wide Range Humbuckers as an input/output pickup type. I've now got a vintage set, and 2 modern reissues in 3 different guitars. They're great pickups. More output and less hum like a Humbucker, but they sound bright and open like a single coil. Note: vintage versions are wired with 1Meg pots whereas Fender recommends 500k pots for the reissues, which makes them a bit less bright and a tad more mid-heavy as a result. I prefer the 1meg versions, but you really need to roll the tone back a bit.

2. Add some Jazzmaster pickups. These aren't P90s but they don't sound like Strat single coils either. The 60s versions tend to be brighter and higher output. 50s versions are darker. These are traditionally wired with 1meg pots.

3. Add a Jaguar pickup option. These are a lot like Strat pickups with the big difference being "the claw" and being wired into 1meg pots.

4. Notice I keep talking about pots? Would be nice if there were options in the Volume and Tone knob sections to select the pot values (e.g. 250k, 500k, 1meg). Maybe add options for audio taper, or a J-taper (30%), or even linear.

5. Some of this could be mitigated if there were an E-Custom option on the input too. Not sure how feasible that is but might be cool.

I think this would close some gaps in re-guitar. At least with my particular guitar collection. :)
Thanks for the suggestions. Regarding (1), have you tried with single coil input, adjusting the brightness accordingly? You can usually adapt to pretty much any type of pickup with the current options.

Regarding others that's a lot of options/additions, but who knows in the future!

any info about that? concerning the piezo tech inside Axiom:
TVbene wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:58 pm One question about the integration in Axiom v2: could I use parallel processing inside of Axiom to blend it with the IR that I've used until now for my piezo guitar? By using amps A and B (without them affecting the sound)? And would there be any phase issues while playing live? Then I'd consider waiting for Axiom instead of buying Re-Guitar.

TVbene wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:58 pm One question about the integration in Axiom v2: could I use parallel processing inside of Axiom to blend it with the IR that I've used until now for my piezo guitar? By using amps A and B (without them affecting the sound)? And would there be any phase issues while playing live? Then I'd consider waiting for Axiom instead of buying Re-Guitar.
You could indeed load the built-in Re-Guitar and an IR in A and B and blend them together. You may have phase cancellation between both (different types of filtering will occur), but that's a bit the same way as blending a piezo input with a microphone together: it may or may not work well depending on the location and type of the microphone.

I like the new Re-Guitar quite a bit, but as a current Axiom owner who has been using the "old" Re-Guitar as part of that suite, I think I'll likely maintain that practice and just wait for the next version of Axiom to come out as mentioned in some of the other threads (which I assume will be a paid update?).

Hey Blue Cat Audio team, any idea yet when that might be? (Or I completely understand and respect if you're not prepared to announce a timeframe right now, but just thought I'd ask.)

It's no official statement yet, but we are looking at a release in September, so it is coming soon! :tu:

Axiom V2 has been fully functional for a while, but re-doing all presets one by one with a guitar or bass in hands takes ages, and there is still quite a bit of work to update manuals etc!

It sill indeed be a paid upgrade (for a small fee, as usual), and there will be a grace period, so if you buy V1 now, the upgrade to V2 will be free (exact details to be published upon release).

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”