Favorite U47 clone kit?

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all - A few years back I built myself a U87 clone from a kit which I ordered from mic and mod.
I actually even did a blind test (w/ 30 something people in the room) against a vintage original 87 and the results were amazing.

I would like to assemble another kit but this time I want to get myself the beloved U47 sound.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a kit I could order? Did anyone get to build one and wants to share some comparisons? Share your thoughts! :)

MicAndMod.com ?? Not heard of before, but you have good experiences with them, so carry on I'd say. I'm not aware of any other mic DIY kit suppliers, but what do I know :shrug:

I just wanted to know their prices, only to find out everything is out of stock for the coming months.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:53 am MicAndMod.com ?? Not heard of before, but you have good experiences with them, so carry on I'd say. I'm not aware of any other mic DIY kit suppliers, but what do I know :shrug:

I just wanted to know their prices, only to find out everything is out of stock for the coming months.
Yeah, this is my issue though.
It takes a few months for them to renew their stock every time and I don't wish to wait so long every time I wanna build a microphone.

There are a ton of U87 clones available that are not kits.
I have 3 Sterling (formally Grove Tube).
Very warm mics.

I am also looking for reviews on a clone kit and would be interested in anyone's experience?

https://groupdiy.com/threads/d-ef47-tri ... ead.56878/

If I were building another U47, I'd probably pick up this. The real key is choosing the capsule. I have used a Beesneez K7 and can honestly say its great. I'd like to try a Heiserman as well. If you don't want to do a full build, get a used Miktek CV4 and replace the capsule with something good. The circuit is nearly identical to the one Oliver designed for the EF47 tribute mic.

I built Micandmods U47 and its amazing! Never tried a "real" U47, so don't know how it holds up but I'd say go for it! Also considering their U87 model now :D

There's major controversy around the Micandmod kits. Their DIY kit designs are allegedly all based off the work and efforts of the community over at Groupdiy.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Well, all those DIY microphones, but also pre-build clones, are based on the work of others. There are a truckload of microphones that use the "Schoeps" Transformerless SDC circuit. If someone sees an adjustment and thinks it's an improvement, why shouldn't he apply that improvement in the products he sells? Isn't that called progress?

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”