Shreddage 3 forgetting sample purges when reopening projects

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I posted about this in the following thread over on vi-control: https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... co.125360/

It turns out this seems to be a bug specifically in Shreddage (not Kontakt), so posting it here.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new project in Logic (or likely any other DAW, I've tried Dorico as well with same result)
2. Create a new virtual instrument track, and load up Kontakt (both AU and VST3 have the same effect as described here)
3. Load up Shreddage 3 Hydra NKI (I've also tested Stratus and Archtop with the same result as described here)
4. Observe 2GB RAM used by Hydra
5. Click "Purge" -> "Update sample pool"
6. Observe now 0 RAM used by Hydra
7. Save project
8. Quit Logic
9. Reopen Logic / project
10. Observe 2GB RAM used by Hydra again (0 expected)

This does seem to be specific to Shreddage 3 instruments (and some others by other developers) as there are some other instruments (e.g. Joshua Bell Violin, Noire) for which the expected (desired) behavior does occur.

So my questions are:

1. Is this a known issue in Shreddage 3?
2. Can it be fixed?
3. Any workarounds?

It is, indeed, possible to repeat the purge every time reopening the project, but that is a pain, and, with high RAM utilizations, a bit problematic that we have to load the samples first before we can purge.

Thanks,
David

It's not a bug but more of a feature of how purging articulations is implemented in S3 framework. There's an implementation that doesn't force reloading in Tokyo Scoring Strings, but it would have to be ported over to all S3 products and an update released.

Ah, I see now that when you turn off articulations in TACT, it unloads samples from memory.

That said, respecting unused samples within a single articulation is still important. With an 8-string guitar, it's not likely that you're using all samples at all times.

Anything I can do manually in the edit page to achieve this behavior?

Nope, this needs a change in the scripting.

Would it be possible for me to update the script locally? This would be an extremely helpful feature for me.

This is not something you would be able to fix, but I've let our programmers know to see if we can address it in the upcoming 3.5 update.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Return to “Impact Soundworks”