Orange Tree Samples control release time?

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there!

I purchased the Orange Tree Samples Modern Nylon series to play with my Linnstrument and I can't seem to set it up properly. I'm using the full Kontakt 6 inside of Bitwig.

The biggest issue I'm having is controlling the release time (as you would with ADSR) controls. I'm hoping I'm missing something simple but after hours of searching and testing I'm asking for help.

As soon as I release a note it stops. This really limits my playing style and I want it to fade naturally over more time. I've tried changing the ADSR release setting in the Kontakt menu, but it resets immediately after I press a note, I assume due to some scripting. I can't seem to find a control inside the Orange Tree settings that affects release time.
Am I missing something or is there no way to sustain a note other than holding a key?

Any help appreciated!

The library doesn't have an ADSR, if that's what you're specifically looking for. At some point, I'd like to add some sort of control that lets you fine-tune the releases between being really tight and instantaneous to being a slower, softer release, but still within the bounds of what's possible on a real guitar--not really an ADSR like you'd find in a synth plugin.

If it's any help, you can use a sustain pedal to keep notes sustained for longer to prevent unwanted gaps between them.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Ok, thanks for the quick reply! That makes sense, the sustained notes are a difficult balance with samples when going for the most natural sound.
I may get a sustain pedal just for this.

Some control would be a great feature in the future! The trouble for me, currently, is that when transitioning between notes, if I have one pressed I always retrigger notes, and if I release first I may have a gap in the sound unless my release and press timing are very close (as in - release one note and then press the next within 30ms). I was hoping I was missing something.

Couple follow up questions -
Does using a sustain pedal make it behave as though a note is still pressed, as in, tapping a nearby note will mute/retrigger the note next to it if the pedal is sustaining?
Is there any way to adjust the velocity range? My notes seem to vary in volume with the Linnstrument quite a bit.

I just answered the first question for myself, I forgot the Linnstrument has the ability to make the lower row act like a sustain pedal. Looks like when holding sustain it holds the sound but doesn't act like a pressed note, so no retrigger (legato) of nearby notes. That's good for me.

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”