advice for a small midi controller please

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi
I need a small controller keyboard .

I hesitate between these keyboards:
- Evolution eKeys
- Fatar / Studiologic TMK 37
- Korg Microkontrol

So far i have a BitsreamPro, an SH32 and a pc with energyXT.(I also have a Midi 8-8 patcher)

(ps:i'm sorry for my poor english)

Last edited by M'Snah on Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

It is the Access VirusTI (Total Integration)
There is a link on the main page :
http://www.kvr-vst.com/news-print.php?id=2518

but it ain't fair xRAVENx : i forgot to mention 'cheap' !!

Don't you think that i can have the same power as in the virus with my current setup if i choose the right controller ? (sweet dream of mine)

klint wrote:Hi
I need a small controller keyboard .

I hesitate between these keyboards:
- Evolution eKeys
- Korg Microkontrol

So far i have a BitsreamPro, an SH32 and a pc with energyXT.(I also have a Midi 8-8 patcher)

(ps:i'm sorry for my poor english)
Check out the Oxygen 8. It only has 25 keys, but it is very inexpensive and easy to use. I like it!

wel.. different. I linked to the Ti pØlar because its laid out to be a VSTi controller (rotary encoders, mapping presets etc.), its small... and of course it lets you use 16 full fledged virus patches simultaneously (no shared FX, every of the 16 parts has it's own FX arsenal).
As for same power, maybe. Same sound, no. Whats intriguing about that unit to me is that you can use it's effects section from your sequencer. that is the filters, the saturation, chorus, everything. E.g. you can turn most of your VSTis into really amazing sounds that way (moog filter emulation etc.).
Of course that makes no sense with VSTis where you like the sound 'as is', but for stuff like the superwave vstis, using seperate filters and reverb (I usually use seperate reverb plugins for all my VSTis) can beef up the sound tremendously.
Basically like the virus powercore - only you get 16 times the power (and all virus C features + more, like 2 more mod matrix slot, 2 new OSC types including wavetable), and the same host integration.

Gonna replace by mc3000 master keyboard (which is falling apart) with a Ti keyboard.

Anyhow.. no its not cheap unfortunately, but for me its worth saving for. The keyboard is really high quality, so are the knobs on the old virus hardware units.. rotary encoders on this one. Top notch master keyboard (then add the synth).

Markus

edit: small example of what I mean (z3ta preset C 61, fx and filters disabled, sent through the virus b fx section)

The Microkontrol is cool, but you need to have small hands. If you can afford it, you might consider one of the Novation Remote controllers. I'd recommend getting a larger one than the 25 key version, just because it's nice to have more keys. Pots, sliders, buttons, and an xy touchpad (plus a blue screen) make for a nice, versatile set of controls. However, for the price of a Novation Remote 61, you can get a Keystation 88, which would probably be a better choice unless you need a smaller footprint for your studio.

Alternatively, you could go with a simpler (and cheaper) keyboard and supplement with a Behringer B-Control unit (I'd recommend that BCR 2000) for assignable MIDI controls. The BCR 2000 is really an excellent unit for the price.

-c

ok, I put on some pics on the thread too :

-Evolution eKeys
- Korg Microkontrol
- This one also
Image[If you have one in good shape with wind controller please pm me :wink:]

I hesitate between the fatar and the ekeys more and more . of course access could call me for a gift but i doubt they will :(
The TMK-37 is powered via the midi cable of the sound card
The eKeys has usb..
The Korg works with batteries :oops:

Time to make a choice . I'm picking the less pricy I suppose ..

i had a fatar midi keyboard as simple as this one for a few years , maybe its predecessor , and i really really loved how it felt to play with .
i had to put it on the shelf due to it getting a little out of order because of mainly no care by myself (dust,dirt etc.) .
now i've got an edirol master keyboard but the keys don't feel as nice as the fatar's .

if you got a chance to try them "live" i'd do so .

it's sad ..
i can't decide myself :?
xRAVENx thanks for your input .. i simply cannot afford this beast :(
Plastique i found the one you talking about (i searched a bit) : it must be the Studiologic CMK-137 .It seems very similar to the TMK-37 , maybe is it just the same product ?
It seems more and more interesting to me.

Also the Alesis Micron is quite affordable (if not cheap) in the US.. Make me wonder if one can easily buy gear in the united states ?? (when living in europe , that is )

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”