Control Your whole computer with a Midi Controller

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi KVR Community

I wanted to tell you all about a piece of software we made for studios, musicians, mixers, engineers and content creators. Its called EE.

EE enables you to build directly control applications with your Midi Controller to access standard UI functions, create and trigger macro workflows, interact with smart home systems, use your Voice, Keyboard, Mouse, Xbox and other Gamepad controllers + our programmable context menu as a midi controller or alternative input for your DAW.
EE works with OSC, MIDI, KEYBOARD, MOUSE + lots of other devices

EE is available here for Windows 10: www.extendedexpression.com (http://www.extendedexpression.com)

Use it for free (Beta). Id love to know what you think.

Looks interesting. I know gfx people who've paid silly money for custom controllers which are really just a big box of buttons, if you could do the same with this and something like a £70 launchpad mini... Cool.

Hi Garry,

Indeed this is the idea behind EE.
Connect whatever Midi thing or OSC thing you want to reprogram it to do what you need in a particular application.

Feel free to pass on the weblink to people you know that might be interested. Id love to get some GFX people to use it and see how we can make it work better for them.

Thanks again for your feedback

Most DAWs can be controlled like that out of the box I think. A DAW which can't be controlled without a mouse won't survive in a professional environment... But other applications could benefit from it. Sometimes its necessary to switch applications which run at the same time. If that system would allow to switch those contexts, it could be useful as well. But what do I tell you, I am on a Mac... (Which has a native app called Automator covering that at least partially, but not as easy maybe...)

Not sure if you should be so fixated on MIDI controlers. An universal controller for Windows and Mac already exists: https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck-xl
Though it comes in a form of extra hardware device.

Either way, an interesting project. Good luck!
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:30 am Most DAWs can be controlled like that out of the box I think. A DAW which can't be controlled without a mouse won't survive in a professional environment... But other applications could benefit from it. Sometimes its necessary to switch applications which run at the same time. If that system would allow to switch those contexts, it could be useful as well. But what do I tell you, I am on a Mac... (Which has a native app called Automator covering that at least partially, but not as easy maybe...)
Hi TJ,
Yes most DAW's can be controlled with a Midi Controller. Pro Tools being one main one that is not able to be controlled : (
I guess Avid wants to keep selling controller.

For those application, being able to remap how a midi controller (or any number of other supported input types) works seems to be the most useful application.
Or if you don't want to spend money on a multi button controller.

The main reason we really created this though is that there are no great software solutions for Windows that encapsulate what many like you using programs like automator have been able to do in an easy to use UI for years on a MAC. There are great productivity tools but nothing that encapsulates midi. Bome does some cool stuff but its very Midi focused and as far as I know not contextual.
Windows OS also lacks good OSC tools and generally the ability to be able to map how controllers and input devices function without getting deep into AutoHotKey.

If you know anyone with a Windows 10 machine who might be interested in enabling their Midi Controller, Voice input or any number of other controllers to do more in Windows based apps I would love to hear from them.

This tool is also build for people using assistive devices which out of the box on both Mac and PC do very little to help persons with access limitations use their computer as proficiently and effectively to creativity as most of us here do.

Thanks for your comments and look forward to hearing from more people.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
DJ Warmonger wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:43 am Not sure if you should be so fixated on MIDI controlers. An universal controller for Windows and Mac already exists: https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck-xl (https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck-xl)
Though it comes in a form of extra hardware device.

Either way, an interesting project. Good luck!
Hi DJ Warmonger.

Indeed. Many cool controllers exist.
Stream deck is super cool but its also $$ for 32 buttons and can't send out Midi or OSC or control Logitech Harmony hub, Hue, TPLink or pair with your voice as in input.
I guess you could use another platform like IFTTT to connect it all together.
Don't get me wrong. Its a great product. But with a Launchpad Mini and EE you get double the buttons and 5x as many output types for a fraction of the price and it doesn't reply on an internext connection to work nor will you need to pair it with any other application to make it do what you want.

EE will be about 40USD all in and come included with support and optimizations for 100+ applications out of the box.

If you are on Windows come and get a download of the Beta.

Id love yo know what you think and really value your input in making our software more useful.
If you sign up as a Beta tester ill also give you 50% off the price once its all ready to go in the next 6 weeks.

EE is not built to replace things like Steam deck controllers. But rather give you the ability to customize any controller you already have so you don't need to buy a new one : )

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”