Why you left FL Studio?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

burnt circuit wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:09 am
tooneba wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:06 am
There are no defensive bias or confusion here. I actually followed your logic to reductio ad absurdum.
Sounds more like pure confusion, my bad.
What I wrote is your logic. So you can anytime dispute your logic if you want. :hihi:

tooneba wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:12 am
There are no defensive bias or confusion here. I actually followed your logic to reductio ad absurdum.
Sounds more like pure confusion or you just don't understand what a real working engineer really does.
What I wrote is your logic. So you can anytime dispute your logic if you want. :hihi:
Please give us a list of working professional mixing and mastering engineers, that are strictly mixing/mastering engineers, and only use FL Studio to exclusively mix and master audio.

I hope you can follow this logic.
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

burnt circuit wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:37 am
tooneba wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:12 am
Sounds more like pure confusion or you just don't understand what a real working engineer really does.
Please give us a list of working professional mixing and mastering engineers, that are strictly mixing/mastering engineers, and only use FL Studio to exclusively mix and master audio.

Before changing the goal of your argument you can suffer from your own logic for a moment.
  • In specific scenario
    must do for a professional mixing and mastering engineer.
  • Lacking some aspect of the condition to being defined as professional tool
    results in lost time
    (= Efficiency)
  • Conclution
    But, for most amateur bedroom producers, time isn't an issue.
So I can define Studio One as the amateur tool as for most amateur bedroom producers, quality isn't an issue, though that isn't my personal opinion anyway. I'm totally fine with you define whatever tool pro or amateur. But what I'm enjoying is I can verity the proof of "lacking some aspect doesn't decide whether it's for pro or amateur" by borrowing your flawed logic "lacking some aspect decides whether it's for pro or amateur".

tooneba wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:26 am
tooneba likes the FLS

My main daw is Live by the way :hihi:

burnt circuit wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:37 am Please give us a list of working professional mixing and mastering engineers, that are strictly mixing/mastering engineers, and only use FL Studio to exclusively mix and master audio.

You are of course right here...

FLS is for sure not the first choice for mix and mastering engineers...

But what shall this tell us??

There are for sure very little to none strictly mix and mastering engineers using Reason, Ableton or Bitwig...

And btw... what do you think how many people using any DAW on this planet are mix and mastering engineers??? 1%... or maybe 2%...

The vast majority as in nowadays the part of music being created in the "old fashioned" way is very very little the most people are do-it-yourself producers who having far different needs for a DAW than a pure mix and mastering engineer...

Therefore any argument if any DAW doesn´t fullfil any linear DAW feature it wouldn´t be "Pro" enough is nonsense...

Nowadays all DAWs are much more "Pro" than any DAW was in let say end of nineties or early 2000s and there was no alternative...
Every DAW on this planet let´s you create very professional music with ease and that is all that matters...

Trancit wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:27 am
Every DAW on this planet let´s you create very professional music with ease and that is all that matters...
Speed of workflow or the lack of "niche" features may matter sometimes. FL has very good value for the money for beginners and is easy to learn for them. But, at some point (when working on heavy project with many tracks - editing audio, midi, mixing, want to record MPE), you may appreciate stuff found only in other DAWs that will enable you to spend less time clicking with the mouse or staring at the screen; or enabling completely new types of music.
Did IL even manage to enable velocity sensitivity of Akai Fire in FL?

tooneba wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:28 am [*]Professional quality is different from amateur quality
Most people do not understand what the word Professional means. I'm sorry but Pro doesn't automatically mean that it is better then amateur. It doesn't define the quality. It only says that you are paid for this work. Nothing else. It doesn't matter if it is in music or graphics realm or any other job or sport. One quite known when amateur beat pro everytime is Bobby Jones - golf. There is ton of pro music production that for me is junk and sometime amateur production is more enjoyable then your Pro production.

It is not about tool you use but about user who use the tools. All this nonsense threads here on KVR Why you left this and that are stupid.

TrojakEW wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:51 amMost people do not understand what the word Professional means. I'm sorry but Pro doesn't automatically mean that it is better then amateur. It doesn't define the quality. It only says that you are paid for this work. Nothing else.
:tu: :clap:

Having said that, my amateur / hobbyist production sounds shit, so I might not be the best judge of that ;)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

anomandaris1 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:14 am Speed of workflow or the lack of "niche" features may matter sometimes. FL has very good value for the money for beginners and is easy to learn for them. But, at some point (when working on heavy project with many tracks - editing audio, midi, mixing, want to record MPE), you may appreciate stuff found only in other DAWs that will enable you to spend less time clicking with the mouse or staring at the screen; or enabling completely new types of music.
Did IL even manage to enable velocity sensitivity of Akai Fire in FL?
The problem is there is not a single DAW which does it all... this is not a problem of a single one , they all suffer from lacking features others have...

In every DAW you use you gain something and you loose something...
Each has to decide which one fits him/her best in regards of what he/she want to achieve...

But this makes not a single DAW more or less "Pro" or having a better/faster workflow

I would guess that the vast majority of HipHop, Trap, Drum and Bass and similar producers give a shit on most features the oldschool DAWs offer over i.e. Ableton, Bitwig and FLS with their often unique workflow which aims of course at the electronic music production and less to very very little at recording Bands, Orchestral stuff etc... in their main emphasis they excel all and offer a ton faster and easier workflow than linear DAWs

Not saying it wouldn´t be possible but they sometimes do not have the best tools for that...

I for example would never get the idea to choose FLS for timecorrecting a drum multi track recording... this would be a hundred times more difficult than in S1, Reaper, Cubase etc...

TrojakEW wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:51 am ...
It is not about tool you use but about user who use the tools. All this nonsense threads here on KVR Why you left this and that are stupid.
Word!!

TrojakEW wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:51 am It is not about tool you use but about user who use the tools. All this nonsense threads here on KVR Why you left this and that are stupid.
I think it is quite important for users to find the most appropriate tools for their use case. Other wise working can become quite a PITA.

A painter doesn't just use the brushes he still has from school as well, or paints on cheat sheets. Professional musicians use Stradivaris, expensive guitars, or Moog synthesizers. The "it's not the tool, it's the user" argument only gets you that far. After that, it's about optimizing workflow, trying to get the best out of your music, and, especially having fun doing so. Your work will be shit if you have no fun. Working with shit tools is no fun for me, it's a pain.

chk071 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:11 pm ...
A painter doesn't just use the brushes he still has from school as well, or paints on cheat sheets. Professional musicians use Stradivaris, expensive guitars, or Moog synthesizers. The "it's not the tool, it's the user" argument only gets you that far. After that, it's about optimizing workflow, trying to get the best out of your music, and, especially having fun doing so. Your work will be shit if you have no fun. Working with shit tools is no fun for me, it's a pain.
We are talking about 99% and 1%...
It´s like the definition of a genious... 99% transpiration and 1% inspiration...

A talented producer will make 99% of any DAW you throw at him... perhaps the other 1% if he finds the perfect DAW for him...
A good painter will even with his old brushes from school make you a picture where you just can say: Wow...
There aren´t enough Stradivaris out there for every professional muscian... it is estimated there are perhaps 650 instruments left... for about 500.000 professional violinists and other string player ...nevertheless every professional can play with every decent violin at least 99% as good as with a Stradivari ...
A good guitar player plays you anything you like on any good guitar
Moog Synths...? who needs a Moog??? the 70´s are over... there are much better synths out there

Optimizing Workflow?? if this would be true nobody would use ProTools anymore...
How will you judge as most of the "pro" engineers started with one of the big three and never tried anything else...

It´s that easy as TrojakEW wrote... it´s never about the tools it´s always about the user... a big period

Everything else is personal reference but never something about the quality or if it is "Pro" or not...

chk071 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:11 pm Professional musicians use Stradivaris, expensive guitars, or Moog synthesizers. The "it's not the tool, it's the user" argument only gets you that far.
The way you think will limit you. You are trying to find something that will make you stand out of the crowd and make you better. Do you know story of Tantalus?

It doesn't matter what you use. Important is if you can use it to really express yourself. You can give me Stradivarius viola but in my hands it will be same as holding a dirt. No matter how expensive equipment you use, the limit will always be the one who use it.

To make another example lets talk about Ludwig van Beethoven. Do you thing he make great composition only because he used expensive instruments? He was deaf when he wrote his greatest stuff. His tool was only his brain. He created it and not tools that he used.
Trancit wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:44 pm A talented producer will make 99% of any DAW you throw at him... perhaps the other 1% if he finds the perfect DAW for him...
A good painter will even with his old brushes from school make you a picture where you just can say: Wow...
:tu:

TrojakEW wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:31 pm

To make another example lets talk about Ludwig van Beethoven. Do you thing he make great composition only because he used expensive instruments? He was deaf when he wrote his greatest stuff. His tool was only his brain. He created it and not tools that he used.

Whilst I do absolutely agree with your points made, thought I'd post this..heard the story on the radio a few days back;

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... sicologist

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”