Phase Plant released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Thanks for keeping everyone in line.
It almost started being fun instead of just barely passive aggressive...
ImageImageImageImage

If anyone is interested, Kilohearts have four Snap-In effects at half-price at the moment - Distortion, Filter, Ensemble and Reverb. I don't need yet another reverb but distortion and filter will be very handy in Phase Plant (already have Ensemble).

If they keep doing that on a semi-regular basis, $30 here and there, they'll end up making a few quid off me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I like their Ensemble plugin a lot; using it outside the ecosystem fairly often.

Also found Phase Plant is excellent for hardstyle kicks due to grouping/layers and being able to have unique FX chains for up to three layers. One group for the top distortion, one for the body, and one for the sub, each with their own ASHDR envelopes so you can delay the body to make room for the transient. Then Faturator is good for fuzz, use whatever EQs you have to shape the top layer. The body gets whatever treatment, the sub is sent clean to 3 with the other 2 lanes for gluing and performance modulation.

I find Phase Plant excels primarily in doing every kind of "special sounds" than in traditional synthesis...

To explore something new by having lots of fun is really it´s strength...
I like i.e. how he created this drone sound... I would never think of that in any other synth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvhdmH4QZ0o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em5sMdCqDpk

Turning a few sine waves into this atmosphere is quite cool actually

^Happy to see Dash is gaining in popularity :tu:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I always enjoy his vids... quite good stuff from south africa...

Trancit wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:41 am I always enjoy his vids... quite good stuff from south africa...
Yep been watching him from very early on. Hugely informative and a seemingly incredibly down to earth guy.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:33 am ^Happy to see Dash is gaining in popularity :tu:
Trancit wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:41 am I always enjoy his vids... quite good stuff from south africa...
It's surprising - in a very positive way - how many psy-trance related tutorials come from the southern part of the globe, incl. Africa and Australia (Dash, Marula/Protoculture, Collective Inteligence to name a few); despite the music itself being most popular in the North :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:46 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:33 am ^Happy to see Dash is gaining in popularity :tu:
It's surprising - in a very positive way - how many psy-trance related tutorials come from the southern part of the globe, incl. Africa and Australia (Dash, Marula/Protoculture, Collective Inteligence to name a few); despite the music itself being most popular in the North :)
South Africa has long established psy scene since mid 00's. Tickets, Brethren, Deliriant and other twillight stuff. Nano is a SA label too.

Don't know much about Australian psy though. Except for Terrafractyl, of course
Last edited by recursive one on Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I definitely wouldn’t say Psy is more popular in the North. It has been massive in SA, Australia and Brazil since the mid 90s.

recursive one wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:53 amSouth Africa has long established psy scene since mid 00's. Tickets, Brethren, Deliriant and other twillight stuff. Nano is a SA label too.

Don't know much about Australian psy though. Except for Terrafractyl, of course
Having been active on the scene from 1995 I'm well aware of that :)

However I think that still most ARTISTS - not fans, perhaps - are in Europe: UK, Gemany, Balcans, Scandinavia, Russia & its republics. Even the traditionally African labels - Nano, Timecode/Sangoma - have "moved" to Europe. At least that's my impression formed by what I listen to and it may well be that specific sub-genres are more heavily represented in the South. And obviously I don't have any hard data to back any of that up :D

Anyway, sorry for the digression. Let's focus on PP :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Nothing in that collection that interests me. I'm finding Phase Plant's specialty to be big, nasty, distorted leads and pads. While I was having Cubase problems, I used my time in Orion to find some Wasp substitutes for a few of our old songs and Phase Plant has featured strongly, wherever I needed something extra nasty. I've been using modified presets and simple structures I've made from scratch in equal measure and both work really well. When I modify a preset, it involves removing anything that isn't contributing and it's surprising/disappointing how often I can get rid of more than half the effects without changing the sound significantly. It's also surprising just how easily a single analog oscillator with a filter, a single envelope and a distortion module or two can compete with some of the more complex presets. Phase Plant is working out exactly as I had hoped it would.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I dropped two Phase Plants into a song I was moving across from Orion yesterday and the results are better than I had anticipated. One of the parts used to be Go2 which, for some reason, kept scrambling the patch I had been using. The cool thing about it is that neither patch were designed to be used the way I am using them. They are two huge pad/lead sounds that I'm using with 16th note arp lines. It's actually stupid how well they work. The sound quality stands up well and they both sit in the mix really well, too. I'm both impressed and pleased with my purchase.

Kilohearts have just released a new effect plugin that also works as a snapin in Phase Plant (and Multipass and Snap Heap).

https://kilohearts.com/products/dynamics

"Dynamics can be used to give an aggressive oomph to your leads. Try it in Multipass for multiband processing.

Dynamics processing featuring upward and downward compression as well as expansion. Thresholds and ratio are controlled by clicking and dragging on the visualization in the upper part of the plugin interface. The visualization shows how input levels are mapped to output levels by the dynamics processing. The current input and output levels are marked in the visualizer by a moving disc."

https://youtu.be/FBEBh3MuMkU

Return to “Instruments”