If you didn’t own either, would you buy Nexus or Avenger?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I already own Nexus 2 and I’m a little unimpressed by the 3 update. Not sure if I keep investing in it or cut ties and go the Avenger route. I know you can actually edit the sounds in Avenger so I’m thinking having this flexibility may be the way to go. Both companies seem to bring out extreme opinions both good and bad from its users so not sure.

Or, would you look into Rapid over both?

If you are into EDM and want more flexibility, maybe look elsewhere than reFX/Vengeance, Parawave Rapid for example, they have great EDM expansions you can edit too, think guy (Mirko Ruta) that did some Nexus expansions is making expansions for Rapid now.

https://parawave-audio.com/index.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_LMXfRVkc8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlOWH24ZjbU

In my OPINION...reFX and Vengeance have taken steps backwards. Simple is king. Not one project that used Nexus2 works with N3. Gratefully I had exported mixdowns and could hear what sounds I used. In many cases I pulled up Diva or Hive or Synthmaster, or some other synth and replaced the sounds. I am thrilled with those results.

With Avenger, while I still like the synth, I have many others that can do the same thing, and don't make me jump through the hoops that Avenger does (copy protection...and this is coming from a guy whole loves iLok and eLicenser). Having to log in every three months...I am not complaining, I just think it is backwards thinking.

Also most of the packs include the same old sounds that are wearing thin on my ears...with the exception of the new guitars pack.

You can get better for much less anywhere else.

tdm71 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:32 pm I already own Nexus 2 and I’m a little unimpressed by the 3 update. Not sure if I keep investing in it or cut ties and go the Avenger route. I know you can actually edit the sounds in Avenger so I’m thinking having this flexibility may be the way to go. Both companies seem to bring out extreme opinions both good and bad from its users so not sure.

Or, would you look into Rapid over both?
Investing Definition - Investopedia
Jun 25, 2019 - Investing is the act of allocating funds to an asset or committing capital to an endeavor (a business, project, real estate, etc.), with the expectation of generating an income or profit.

Anyways, keep in mind because the nature of nexus is primary sample based its CPU usage will be vastly different then Avenger. Avenger can be quite a CPU hog. I dont have Nexus 2 nor 3, but i did used it. While its an awesome preset player, i dont need it for my needs. I have Avenger, quite happy with it.

Even if I was making EDM or the like, I still wouldn’t ever buy either of those, no. Wouldn’t make the top 10.

OTOH, Avenger looks very capable, so if it appeals, you could certainly do worse.

I don't own any of these and I don't think I will. For the money they cost I personally prefer to purchase several more affordable synths, which in my opinion might give you more versatility than just having one big machine that supposedly does everything.

And one of the reasons for that is exactly what you say, if you aren't completely happy with the sound or a new update you're putting all eggs in one basket. I personally prefer having four or five synths like Serum, Spire, ANA2, Sylenth1, Dune 3... and use them mixed on my tracks depending on what I need and which of them does the better job for each of the sounds I need.

i don't own either and i wouldn't buy either either.

Something with tons of presets.. Sylenth? Synthmaster? Serum?

I own N2 and Avenger. Rarely use N2, obviously will not update to N3, and I stopped updating Avenger after they switched to the new copy protection.
If you really need Vengeance sounds, if you make and sell music and every new pack you buy gives you back more money that you paid for it, then by all means buy everything that makes your production more streamlined.

But if you don’t, it makes little sense to make the purchase of expansion packs.

Other thing with Avenger - if I want a analog bass, I load Diva, twist some knobs, bam!, I have the bass. In Avenger it takes one hour, really and still sounds “polite”. You have to modulate parameters and layer samples and stuff. And is not that I am a bad designer, even Kevin Schroeder, who managed to pull a pack of cinematic presets for Synapse Legend, packed Avenger with sampled sounds because that synth is soulless.

And then for very complex animated sounds, Avenger eventually can’t do what Falcon can.

There are better specialized tools (than Vengeance), depending on your music. And for some people the better specialized tool is Avenger, so just be sure what you buy really satisfies your own personal needs.

I only have a demo of Avenger but it never particularly impressed me sound-wise. To my ears Rapid sounds way better and I like the worklow much more. It can do really a lot (much more that factory presets show) without being unnesessary complicated. One of my most used wavetable synths actually. Either it's the factory selection of wavetables, or the WT effects or just well-thought worklow but I typically come up with useable sounds with it in a very short time.

Can't comment on Nexus, never owned it. But I'm not actually sure what's the point of a rompler with synth sounds in 2020 when you can buy an actual synth and have all the same sounds.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

>>If you didn’t own either, would you buy Nexus or Avenger?

Nope.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:48 pm >>If you didn’t own either, would you buy Nexus or Avenger?

Nope.
I'm curious as well.

What would you go with?
Bitwig Studio 4, NI Maschine, Reason+, Studio One 5, FL Studio, Avenger, Omnisphere

Nexus for sure. wide range of sounds, easy to find inspiring sounds. Super low cpu, so you can have very many instances in a project.

Avenger is definitely really nice too, but such a different beast. Lots of options, the drumkits are great, etc. But its almost like its own DAW, so it can get too complicated for me. Maybe a sound designers dream, but when you need to work fast I typically go to nexus instead. If I feel I want to find something more unique or get some cool drums I'll pull up avenger.

I'm sure decent music can be made with either Nexus or Avenger, but I am not in the target market for either of these.

I enjoy patching my own sounds from scratch, on instruments that have their own particular character, focus and simplicity, and which I can get to know intimately and learn their quirks inside and out.

These look like the opposite of that. They claim to do everything ("the last synth you'll ever need") and are being used as a platform for selling piles of EDM presets.

It's a shame reFX abandoned their old products to focus on Nexus, because PlastiCZ was a fun little synth that I find 10 times more enticing.

Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:49 pm i don't own either and i wouldn't buy either either.
same

Return to “Instruments”