Overwhelmed With Cubase Problems

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:37 am I got a few tips from Steinberg today - from Germany via the local office in Melbourne - and after tweaking a few things in Preferences and updating my nVidia drivers, most things are working OK now. One song still won't play from the first bar and there is a still a MIDI delay in another but everything else seems fine. But all the songs play without any CPU spikes or audio glitches. It's as good as it has ever been now so I can get on with my work, which is a huge relief.

Thanks everyone for taking an interest, your time and effort is greatly appreciated.
You have to tell us tips!

Please share the tips (Best to edit your first post and include them there. That way it may be helpful to someone in the future).

Studio one also has it's fair share of bugs and problems .
For me the biggest issue is that every few months , studio one is innacurately sending midi to my hardware , no note offs are send when drawing notes in the piano roll , resulting in hanging midi notes ( there is no midi loop , or feedback routing present ) .
Only happens with hardware and studio one and not in reaper , renoise ... it's mostly fixed with a new win 10 update but this can takes weeks before an update arises
A stroll through the forum shows that some users have experienced the same thing but it never got tackled .
Anyway , I think it's because of studio one's implementation of midi ( they call it look mum no midi ) ,imho studio one is too dependent on win 10 updates .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

ls1xxx wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:05 am Every version of Cubase above 6 has been nothing but problems.
Except of course Hans Zimmer, Junkie XL and all working at Remote Control who according to you work with a program beset with problems for the last 10 years or so.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

woodsdenis wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:35 pm
ls1xxx wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:05 am Every version of Cubase above 6 has been nothing but problems.
Except of course Hans Zimmer, Junkie XL and all working at Remote Control who according to you work with a program beset with problems for the last 10 years or so.
I don't think they are early adopters of any version and I doubt Cubase never crashed on them for any of the reasons, Junkie is even using Windows 7, who knows how long he was using Cubase 5 before moving on to other stable version, what make better experience is not being early adopter and having professionally assembled machine, using most reliable gear with great drivers and so on.

Professionals put up with bugs and workarounds too, they aren't going to move to other DAW that have another set of bugs every time, anyone that is enough in this know very well that all DAW's have their own set of flaws and bugs, they all suck in their own way.

For those in need of a rollback to 10.0.40.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 47#p952079
On a number of Macs

Passing Bye wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:03 pm
woodsdenis wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:35 pm
I don't think they are early adopters of any version and I doubt Cubase never crashed on them for any of the reasons, Junkie is even using Windows 7, who knows how long he was using Cubase 5 before moving on to other stable version, what make better experience is not being early adopter and having professionally assembled machine, using most reliable gear with great drivers and so on.

Professionals put up with bugs and workarounds too, they aren't going to move to other DAW that have another set of bugs every time, anyone that is enough in this know very well that all DAW's have their own set of flaws and bugs, they all suck in their own way.
If you look at his YT channel he has certainly not been using V5 for a number of years, and in fact certainly uses 10 as he has shown how he uses the dual marker system. Not saying for a minute that there aren’t issues with any software but claiming that it hasn’t worked properly for 10 years is silly.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

woodsdenis wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:28 pm If you look at his YT channel he has certainly not been using V5 for a number of years, and in fact certainly uses 10 as he has shown how he uses the dual marker system.
My point was that he isn't early adopter, saw one his more recent videos where he still uses Windows 7, so he didn't jumped on OS update wagon just for the sake of it either, his business is music, not beta testing.
Not saying for a minute that there aren’t issues with any software but claiming that it hasn’t worked properly for 10 years is silly.
Agree, it's really not the case, but he isn't that far off, early versions of every new and .5 releases were quite buggy and it took them few updates to remedy all of that, think only version that really worked great from the get go is 9.5 and right now it's really rock solid one, not saying they will not iron 10.5, they will, but it will take more time and revisions.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:37 am I got a few tips from Steinberg today - from Germany via the local office in Melbourne - and after tweaking a few things in Preferences and updating my nVidia drivers, most things are working OK now. One song still won't play from the first bar and there is a still a MIDI delay in another but everything else seems fine. But all the songs play without any CPU spikes or audio glitches. It's as good as it has ever been now so I can get on with my work, which is a huge relief.

Thanks everyone for taking an interest, your time and effort is greatly appreciated.
So, what tips are those? I don't have crashes, but I surely have CPU spikes, so they may perhaps be helpful to me too.
Fernando (FMR)

Googly Smythe wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:35 pmYou have to tell us tips!
I think the biggest one was the nVidia graphics drivers, although if I go through Settings, it still shows the Intel HD graphics driver as the one in use. As far as I can see there is no utility for switching between that and the RTX2060. The other significant one might have been invoking Steinberg's power plan from Preferences. I'd seen it before but figured my default power plan - everything wound up to max - was probably good enough. I haven't looked to see what the actual settings are but the other stuff in Preferences was already set. It is all stuff on this page - https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... ation-DAW-

I didn't go so far as a clean boot, just the recommended things plus the graphics driver. Weirdly, you can update graphics drivers without having to reboot these days (but I rebooted anyway).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

So,my experience of this is that your Intel graphics act as your primary driver, so that matches what you're seeing there, with the nvidia geforce only kicking in when needed.

It all saves heat and power, but it can cause issues as the switch happens - typically when you've got driver issues with the nvidia - as it can seem like you've got random crashes/slowdowns because you don't see when the nvidia has kicked in.

Cubase user since SX2-3 days. Now on 8.0 easing slowly into 10. Occasionally there have been glitches or annoyances but overall it’s been a pretty stable system. And the times when something was really not working were usually traced eventually to some not very compatible component. Nvidea card, some AMD processor, particular chipsets on motherboards..

Nowadays rarely a glitch unless some incompatible vst which occasionally happens. So to the users that say it’s buggy as heck.. not my experience.
W11 i9-13900K, 64GB Cubase, UAD/Motu Monitor 8 front end and more plugins then I ever actually need :D

mrcleats wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:52 am So,my experience of this is that your Intel graphics act as your primary driver, so that matches what you're seeing there, with the nvidia geforce only kicking in when needed.

It all saves heat and power, but it can cause issues as the switch happens - typically when you've got driver issues with the nvidia - as it can seem like you've got random crashes/slowdowns because you don't see when the nvidia has kicked in.
Well that, right there, could be responsible for the power spikes, maybe? I can't imagine the changeover is smooth.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

If no monitor is connected to the onboard Intel graphics card then it will not be used. If you're using multiple monitors there's a chance that one of them is connected to the nVidia card and the other to the onboard Intel graphics card.

It's just the laptop display and, according to Settings, it's being run by the Intel driver.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”