Best drum synth?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:36 pm Punch2 (from Rob Papen) has everything covered from samples to various synthesis methods, but I found the GUI overcrowded and not inviting (obviously very personal thing).
I have similar UI-related complains, but a bit with another specificity.
Need say, i enough appreciate Punch, exactly his huge beautiful effects list and modulation\routing abilities and different builtin engines. It's seems really interesting.
But his sequencer workflow, it's.....difficult to explain, why it's simply deadlock, unfortunately, and why rarely use it. It can probably think a lot about this.
With a more elaborate sequencer engine (UI and functional regarding), I think this machine would be much more interesting.
(have v1, not upgraded yet).

kind of debating on D16 Punchbox vs FAW SubLab myself. both are at around same price range and in sale. maybe leaning towards the SubLab at the moment.

vallaton wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:37 pm kind of debating on D16 Punchbox vs FAW SubLab myself. both are at around same price range and in sale. maybe leaning towards the SubLab at the moment.
They’re a bit different. I have both.
In my opinion sublab does tuned kick/basses and synth basses better, and PunchBox does kicks better.

There’s an overlap in the “typical 808” sound, but PunchBox can really really kick it hard, while it can’t do such a mean bass as Sublab.

PunchBox is also “one shot” style while SubLab does ADSR sustained envelope as well.

I use them for different things generally, and i appreciate both

Ploki wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:34 pm
vallaton wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:37 pm kind of debating on D16 Punchbox vs FAW SubLab myself. both are at around same price range and in sale. maybe leaning towards the SubLab at the moment.
They’re a bit different. I have both.
In my opinion sublab does tuned kick/basses and synth basses better, and PunchBox does kicks better.

There’s an overlap in the “typical 808” sound, but PunchBox can really really kick it hard, while it can’t do such a mean bass as Sublab.

PunchBox is also “one shot” style while SubLab does ADSR sustained envelope as well.

I use them for different things generally, and i appreciate both
thanks for the input!

yeah, might have to get both at some point. i think i'll start with sublab and see how long until i feel the need for more.

vallaton wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:50 pm thanks for the input!

yeah, might have to get both at some point. i think i'll start with sublab and see how long until i feel the need for more.
You won’t be sorry imo, it has a good synth engine and its easier to do tuned subs with it. The X-sub is really neat.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imo the gui is still awful on punchbox.
- it takes a while to load
- its not scalable
- Its not hidpi/retina

yeah, not the biggest fan of the look of punchbox, but if it sounds great...

and lol. ran into trouble with sublab even before i got it running. bought the license but there's no activation code on my faw account for it. contacted their support and got automated response that they'll respond within 48 hours.

could be a good time to get a luxury item to play with while i wait.

how bad is the latency with pb?

Is there such thing as a plugin for electronic drums, with a variety of synthesis methods on offer, and a great UI/workflow? Would be nice to have access to classic sounds, no doubt, but also weird, experimental “drums” (and other things).

I’m doing fine for sampled acoustic drums and related shenanigans, but still looking for “the ultimate drum machine” (in software), essentially.

vallaton: it doesnt have latency
kvotchin wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:27 am Is there such thing as a plugin for electronic drums, with a variety of synthesis methods on offer, and a great UI/workflow? Would be nice to have access to classic sounds, no doubt, but also weird, experimental “drums” (and other things).

I’m doing fine for sampled acoustic drums and related shenanigans, but still looking for “the ultimate drum machine” (in software), essentially.
By far the best i have is Drumspillage. AU only.
Its literally what you describe.

Others from the top of my head are Xils lab StiX, Microtonic, imageline drummax, sonic charge micro tonic, discontinued fxpansion tremor

Thanks so much! You rock. :band:

Native Instruments Battery 4 is great

Stacker or Simple Music are best options

thor2 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:12 pm Native Instruments Battery 4 is great
Battery 4 is not a synth - its a sampler
Emilie Robbins wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:43 am Stacker or Simple Music are best options
Stacker is unfortunately discontinued, but its a neat Synth/Sampler combo.

Drumspillage, just buy it, it’s the tits!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”