/* whitenoise */

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Discovery Discovery Pro

Your cymbol audio is pretty low-pitched, might be turned into a gong :D

You'll find that's pretty common on older organ drum machines that started to appear in the early 70s. I always liked the timbre tuned that way a lot more than the 80s style HF-focused synth hi-hats.
https://soundcloud.com/aciddose-1/analo ... oscillator
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Chandlerhimself wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:34 am I've been experimenting with a new way to do drum synthesis in MSoundfactory. Using a modal filter and white noise I can get the modes/partials closer to a real drum. I'm still experimenting with it, but I made a video on it.

https://youtu.be/Z7IyXZTymoA
I love your MSoundFactory videos. Really nice work with the snare drum!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Thanks. I'll be making another video showing how to make it sound even better.

e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:11 pm Post some audio, who wants to download a demo version just because of that? 8)
Well, that's right, you can take a look at the parameters from the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9vyY6o4lAI

Thanks. Frankly, I think only about 5% of those sounds have potential. Most are so odd, I would not know how to use them in actual music. What genre are they for?

Does that synth have retrigger and phase controls for the oscillators? Without those a synth is pretty much useless for percussion and drum sounds in my view.

e-crooner wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:34 pm Thanks. Frankly, I think only about 5% of those sounds have potential. Most are so odd, I would not know how to use them in actual music. What genre are they for?
They are not genre focused, just vanilla percussive sounds.
Does that synth have retrigger and phase controls for the oscillators? Without those a synth is pretty much useless for percussion and drum sounds in my view.
The retrigger and phase control is a pending feature and has been requested a lot. Certainly it will make percussive stuff much better. Right now only LFO can be retriggered.

That video you posted is ancient. If you have not managed to implement those things in a decade, you likely never will.
Your whole synth offering seems dated compared to what is out there these days.

Vanilla or not, most of those percussion patches are not good in my view.

Thanks for your opinion. I’m looking forward to implement the OSC retrig option on the next update. It’s a rather complex DSP task. What exactly makes the synth dated?

Well, I think it's difficult for a plugin to be around for such a long time (at least since 2011 obviously, probably even longer) and not become dated as other developers introduce more and more new plugins, many of which much more capable. Sylenth1 is a rare exception in my view.
Being an emulation of old hardware, Discovery has inherited certain limitations that are hard to put up with these days, like the 3 fixed values for keytracking, or velocity to envelope amount as an on/off switch, the lack of a display etc.

Discovery Pro was first released on 2007, based on Discovery synth which was around since 2003. What I understand from your post is that the synth currently lacks more control over certain parameters which is true, but the architecture is focused on being simple, so some sacrifices had to be made.

Still, crucial features like oscillator/filter qualities or sample playback engine shouldn't be considered too old (yet) :) in my opinion. Definitely I admit there are better options for percussive stuff right now, but you can learn some basics using this synth.

Wow, Discovery from 2003 :hihi:

When the biggest resolution is 800 pixels wide, that is still pretty small. My Sylenth1 GUI is set to a width of 1470 pixels, and that synth is not even as dense in terms of controls I think :wink:

800? maybe in HiDPI, but can go as wide as around 1770 pixels (EDIT > GUI > 2x) using standard resolutions (sorry for the off-topic).

There is no such as dated synth. Problem is user approach when they are trying to to use same way to design the sound with different synth that doesn't have the same features. There is always a way to overcome limits in synth a make what do you want. You just need to find a way be learning more about used synth. Another problem is when they are trying to make something impossible. You have to know the limit of synth but also your own limits. You can not judge synth based on your skills. Because you are used to make this type of sound this way and synth doesn't allow you to do that in this way it is not limitation. Some synth are harder to use for percussion while others are easier. You can even surprise the person who made that synth with sound that he was not aware that it is possible to make with it. Just check One synth challenge and you will see some great stuff.

There is no way to make of list of tips that will work with any synth. You just need to experiment and use different approach every time. New approach can lead to interesting results and make you forget about this is only way to make that sound.
I only use one discoDSP synth and it was free OBXD. Someone can say it is dated but it doesn't matter if you can make it sounds like you want. Here is track I made with it. Everything is OBXD including percusions.
https://soundcloud.com/trojakew/obxd-march

I don't agree with that. Certain features such as retriggering and phase control are crucial for consistent percussion sounds, and when they are missing there is no way to replace them. Sure, you can still make percussion sounds, but they will not be as good as those made on certain other synths.

The OBXD is also my favorite discoDSP synth, there is something about it. For instance the inviting user interface, but also the sound quality.
I remember occasionally using it before discoDSP took over, still, I don't use it anymore, it is just too basic for my needs.

Return to “Sound Design”