Any suggestions for the right MacBook Pro or iMac for Bitwig ?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks, I wanna buy a new Computer for Producing.

Should I buy the I 7 Intel Prozessor or for example the i5 ?

I think 16 GB Ram and a SSD is a must, any suggestions for a good system,or an alternate PC

Thanks a lot

CHRIS

Desktop or laptop? What's your budget?

Does anyone know if Bitwig still makes the fan run like crazy on IMacs and Macbooks? You may want to make sure it still isn’t an issue.
-JH

Never had that problem... I always went for the i7... its a matter of budget of course as well...

If you mean Windows as "alternate PC" then I would go for a AMD Ryzen 3000 series processor. Like Ryzen 7 3800X or Ryzen 9 3900X/3950X. When you want a Laptop with Windows I would wait for Ryzen 4000 series on Laptops starting to sell in February with 8 cores / 16 threads.
RME Babyface Pro / Bitwig / Adam A7X / Elektron AR MKII / Novation Peak / Akai Force / Eurorack

don_looney wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:53 am When you want a Laptop with Windows I would wait for Ryzen 4000 series on Laptops starting to sell in February with 8 cores / 16 threads.
That's what I'm doing.

By all accounts new MBP 16'' are good, much better than 2016-19 models, although obviously very expensive.

I'm very happy with my Lenovo Legion Y730, which is like 1/2 of the price of equivalently specced MBP (6-core i7-8750h, 16GB RAM, GTX1050Ti, 256GB SSD + 2TB HDD) and you can get even cheaper going for Y530 model, which has the same specs but less "extra" features (single-colour backlit keyboard, 60Hz display instead of 144Hz, fully plastic instead of aluminum, etc.). Current models Y740/Y540 are obviously worth cosidering as well.

Performance-wise it takes whatever I throw at it - I normally work with a CPU set to 99% in Power Profile, which means it doesn't engage turbo boost and runs at 2.1GHz, but after the project gets bigger (and insist on keeping everything in MIDI :) ) I can comfortably switch to 100%, which means it runs steadily at 3.7-3.8GHz. Screen is great (1080p, but 144Hz really makes a difference, even in Bitwig), keyboard is very comfortable, lots of ports on the sides and the back, even the speakers are surprisingly decent.

https://youtu.be/tJW0ZYxQqgs
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:46 am By all accounts new MBP 16'' are good, much better than 2016-19 models, although obviously very expensive.
I would not buy a Macbookpro unless you want to use Logic (sounds somehow like a contradiction, doesn't it?)

I'd like to get in on this too. Despite the current version with Metal support, my i7 quad core with 64 GB memory gives me a fan party like I've never seen on this Mac before. I can have projects with several hundreds(!) of tracks in Cubase or Logic for example without any noticeable fan activity. I usually only hear my fan when doing heavy video stuff. So does this have to do with Bitwig vs graphics card then?

stamp wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:10 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:46 am By all accounts new MBP 16'' are good, much better than 2016-19 models, although obviously very expensive.
I would not buy a Macbookpro unless you want to use Logic (sounds somehow like a contradiction, doesn't it?)
Oh, I know. I'm just mentioning the 16'' model because OP specifically mentioned MBPs :)

What's ironic, Reason also runs pretty poorly on MBP :D :wheee:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

stamp wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:57 pm Desktop or laptop? What's your budget?
My favorite is a laptop, budget 2300,-

outerspacecat wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:12 pm I'd like to get in on this too. Despite the current version with Metal support, my i7 quad core with 64 GB memory gives me a fan party like I've never seen on this Mac before. I can have projects with several hundreds(!) of tracks in Cubase or Logic for example without any noticeable fan activity. I usually only hear my fan when doing heavy video stuff. So does this have to do with Bitwig vs graphics card then?
Sounds good for me, I think I will give the new 16 inch MacBook Pro a chance

Grid-nik wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:05 pm
outerspacecat wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:12 pm I'd like to get in on this too. Despite the current version with Metal support, my i7 quad core with 64 GB memory gives me a fan party like I've never seen on this Mac before. I can have projects with several hundreds(!) of tracks in Cubase or Logic for example without any noticeable fan activity. I usually only hear my fan when doing heavy video stuff. So does this have to do with Bitwig vs graphics card then?
I think you read that wrong. (?) It was more of a compliant, not a recommendation. Or do you want your new computer to die faster?
Last edited by JHernandez on Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-JH

Grid-nik wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:05 pm
What they mean is that running Bitwig makes the MacBook Pro heat up, so that its fan runs to cool it down. Not a good thing.

My MBP is too old to be a good music machine, so I haven't installed Bitwig on it and can't offer an opinion.

I would like to see my fans run to cool me down when I'm hot.

Return to “Bitwig”