Triton VST Drum Mapping?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've notice a lot of the drum kits are not mapped in a way that you can easily play a kit. Like Kick on C, second kick on c#, snare on D, clap on d#, 2nd snare on E, tom on F, closed hh on f#, tom2 on g, semi open hh on g#, tom on a, open hh on a#, shaker on b, other fx or shaker on c, crash on c#.

How do we map these kits? if we can't map them easily, whats a good daw where we can collapse the notes not being used. It's so hard programming drums when a kick is on key 15, and the snare is on key 100+. You can't do this in reason. I'm not sure about bitwig or ableton?

Any help appreciated.

In Ableton you can use the drum racks. It's a bit of a faff to set up but it (usually) works. You need to put an external instrument into each slot you want mapped and send the MIDI from that to the plugin, which can be on a separate mixer channel or in one of the slots in the drum rack itself. The chain controls determine what the destination MIDI note will be for each pad in the Ableton rack.

EDIT: having just tried it with the Triton, I've realised that this might not work. Most drum plugins are multi-output and so work with the External Instrument trick. Regular stereo plugins don't show up, which makes it tricky - it's not something I've noticed before because most drum plugins have more than one stereo out. There must be a workaround but I'm not sure what it is at this stage.

The only thing I can think of is slapping a ton of Pitch MIDI FX plugins into the chains of a MIDI FX rack...and it works though maybe not the cleanest solution. However, you can right click on the MIDI FX module and select a menu item to have the piano-roll editor use the chains as note names, so you can get a drum map out of it if you name each chain. But it's a bit tedious to set up. I also can't find any documentation on which sample is where in any of the Triton drum kits, which doesn't help.

This would do the trick https://trackbout.com/ripchord ;)

Not on that specific synth, but...
Had the issue starting back w/M1.
The problem is the Korg drum kits didn't match general midi mapping.
Once asked Korg for mapping - 'not available'.
May not be consistent among a specific device, and for any user patches.

Did find a listing for the Triton rack module(which had GM types) - might help...
http://cdn.korg.com/us/support/download ... n%2Fpdf%3B

I've just compared the listing against the House Kit and it seems to marry up, thanks for that. Good spot.

Also, it does look as though it resembles GM mapping in the octave or so that starts at C3, so it may be enough to just use a MIDI FX pitch shifter to move everything up an octave or two for simpler drum patterns.

Thanks Guys. Maybe I should just buy a Real Korg Triton and fulfill the dream I've had to own one since I was about 11 years old? or are the korg tritons hardware synths mapped all funky too?

Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:19 pm I've just compared the listing against the House Kit and it seems to marry up, thanks for that. Good spot.

Also, it does look as though it resembles GM mapping in the octave or so that starts at C3, so it may be enough to just use a MIDI FX pitch shifter to move everything up an octave or two for simpler drum patterns.
Yes, the House Kit is one of the very few kits that are mapped correctly. Not many are.

Return to “Instruments”