MIDI2 - awesome for synths, effects & daws

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Am so chuffed with this advance.

Everything can talk to everything else.

But not sure if this will put me off buying anything new until MIDI2 is everywhere.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

kevvvvv wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:26 pm

Everything can talk to everything else.

tower of babel for synths :o

that too
but with loads of practical good in its wake
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

I assume it will be compatible with Midi 1, right?
New standards can take a long time to spread. Think of VST3.

I agree it's a bad time to buy hardware because of this. But it hasn't even been finalized yet. I read in most of these reports it is still "subject to change" and being an early adopter could be a problem down the road. Two other things I currently consider more is if the USB is USB 3 and if there's an editor, if it's 64 bit.

Sounds great on paper. Personally, I've never been an "early adopter" of ANYTHING.
I'd rather let someone else pony up the big bucks for the privilege of being a paying
beta tester. A lot things show promise even after they go into production but if they are not adopted as the de-facto standard for all manufacturers you can end up with an expensive paperweight. The betamax was a better format than VHS. :lol: Memory cards are another good example. SD won. I'd rather wait, pay less and buy something I know will be around for a while.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

It holds the potential to be huge for virtual instruments. However, having hardware controllers which support it is only the start of fixing problems.

Whilst we'll likely see plugins, which can "speak" MIDI 2 directly, in order to take full advantage (for all plugins which already exist) it won't just depend on your DAW host software implementing MIDI 2, it will also depend on the way they allow MIDI 2 to speak to existing host automation.

Many people never understood the difference between MIDI CC data and host automation. Host automation avoids problems with MIDI, but it's been held back for decades by the difficulty hardware has had in communicating with it, mostly because we've been stuck with MIDI 1, along with the failure of major companies to come up with better solutions.

MIDI 2 means there's finally light at the end of the tunnel, and virtual instruments potentially have the most to gain from all of this. But a lot depends on how this stuff is implemented.

Will MPE be a standard with MIDI 2.0?
Organic Calfskin Kit - Free/Donationware Drum VST for Mac and Win

retroactivecont wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:25 pm Will MPE be a standard with MIDI 2.0?
MIDI 2.0 is AFAIK 100% backward compatible with MIDI 1.0, so there's no obvious reason why the current implementation shouldn't still be usable. 'Native' MIDI 2.0 will completely surpass it though.

Any devs care to chime in on how difficult MIDI 2.0 support will be to implement? While I don't expect MIDI 2.0 support to instantly appear, particularly given the slow uptake of MPE, I'm wondering if software labouring under an old codebase might have trouble here. I'm thinking along the lines of the troubles Cubase has with VST2 sidechaining, or the troubles Live has with complete PDC implementation.

Higher resolution of parameters like velocity and basically any Midi controller data will be highly beneficial.

will it be microtonal?

Each note on supports additional tuning parameter, so yes.

cron wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:38 pm or the troubles Live has with complete PDC implementation.
Recently I was thinking about it, and reached the conclusion Ableton made a conscious choice about PDC for devices loaded as audio effects.

Live has modulator devices that load as audio effects and can be synced to the main transport (for example, Live's LFO loads as an audio effect).

Those modulator devices can modulate things before their position in the chain, not only audio FX, but also generator devices (synths, samplers, etc.), or even earlier in the signal flow, in the MIDI Effects section. In fact, even in other tracks, one LFO can control parameters in synths in 10 different tracks.

So Ableton had to choose, either those devices were latency-compensated and then would get out of sync with the generators (since latency compensation would delay their start, even affecting/delaying actual MIDI notes in the case of modulated MIDI FX), or those devices keep synced to the transport and start with it (which gets them out of sync with delayed audio from plugins with latency, which is the problem people complain of now).

Ableton own devices are not audio FX, they don't affect audio, and the 3rd party plugins that have problems are very few, the problem only happens in a few scenarios (not every time you use those plugins), and there are easy solution to fix the sync (MIDI trigger, a phase knob), so Ableton made a choice and picked the latter option, preserving their flexible modulation system with a pretty small cost to the user.

Isn‘t it already baked in audio/midi setup since macOS Catalina?

Return to “Instruments”