Guitar fx noob. Which order of fx?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

compressors and gates are very cool for sustain

nix808 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:03 pm
khanyz wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:50 am I wouldn’t think so. Is it just a passive 1:1 audio transformer?
It's a ground loop isolator, I used to need more than one when wiring a couple of old PC's audio together
It probably is a transformer then, but not the best audio quality.

I use a compressor with bass but not guitar. I’ve recorded a lot more bass though, so it’s probably just studio habit. I usually have it just before the power amp and take a DI out from it too. I must try it in my guitar chain. I’ve never found the need for a gate, but I am a J&MC noise lover.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

Try a phaser in front of a buffered fuzz for a nice 'chewy' distortion.
Sometimes, a phaser (light settings) after reverb can sound really lovely.

it's news to me that these isolators are transformers, which I guess was my confusion. I can do the isolation/DC block(?) trick with my DI boxes too, they are not audiophile gear, but they stopped my ground hum noticeably. BertKoor told what to do years ago. I can use them instead of cassette tape possibly, nice. Cassettes are also one way to block DC, it becomes more unstoppable when u drive them a little

There's a whole bunch of advice on effects order (and other great info) in the book PEDAL CRUSH. I'm not a guitar player, so it really helped make sense of a lot of things and explained the practical reasoning behind certain pedal ordering.

Some of it is based on spooky electronics concepts like impedance which we don't have to deal with in software... it seems like everything from the phase of the moon to the color of the picks you use affects how fuzz works.

Also PEDAL CRUSH was great to just flip through and admire the artwork and lust after pedals :love:

Return to “Effects”