Guitar fx noob. Which order of fx?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Got a guitar but not sure about the order of fx.
Is it amp, distortion, modulation, cabinet? And what is a pre-amp for?
And what is your favorite freeware for guitars? :help:
rabbit in a hole

standard order

guitar
gain (comp/fuzz/distortion/od)

modulation

reverb/delay.

now, whether you go in the loop with mod and time stuff, up to you.
but id always put gain before the amp.

the order can of course change depending what sound youre after
floydy guitar sound will be as above for example
shoegazers like to put gain post reverb...

ps: we have a guitar subforum now 8)

youtube: that pedal show
they did a pretty good pedal order for beginners a bit back, might be worth hunting that down.

khanyz wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:58 pm I use a similar order for both hardware and software. That is (as required):

Guitar (or Bass) > Boost/Fuzz > DI > Overdrive > Distortion > Preamp > Modulation > Delay/Reverb > Power Amp (or just Amp if no Pre or FX Loop) > Cabinet

The purpose (at least how I use it) of the preamp is as the main tone shaper (EQ & possible Bright option) as well as providing gain and drive, or supplementing pedal fuzz/drive/distortion. The power amp only has a volume option, and sometimes not even that, so the preamp sets up the signal for it. Distorting the power amp is a good thing and sounds sweet.
I originally posted this in the pedal thread - viewtopic.php?t=532321&start=285
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

I’m not here to give any technically-proper advice. I’m just here to say: regardless of what you’re told, definitely do experiment with the order yourself to see what works for you. Maybe you’ll stumble onto something you would’ve missed by relying on conventional wisdom.

I now hand you back to the people with actual guitar experience ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

whatever sounds good

Jace-BeOS wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:18 pm I’m not here to give any technically-proper advice. I’m just here to say: regardless of what you’re told, definitely do experiment with the order yourself to see what works for you. Maybe you’ll stumble onto something you would’ve missed by relying on conventional wisdom.

i did try to allude to this. but yes,there are no "rules"
just have fun with it and dont annoy the neighbours. too much.

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:22 pm
Jace-BeOS wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:18 pm I’m not here to give any technically-proper advice. I’m just here to say: regardless of what you’re told, definitely do experiment with the order yourself to see what works for you. Maybe you’ll stumble onto something you would’ve missed by relying on conventional wisdom.

i did try to allude to this. but yes,there are no "rules"
just have fun with it and dont annoy the neighbours. too much.
Or (if they’re awful neighbors who are already annoying everyone with their own noise), burn ‘em down to the ground with sound.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Autobot wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:12 pm Got a guitar but not sure about the order of fx.
Is it amp, distortion, modulation, cabinet? And what is a pre-amp for?
And what is your favorite freeware for guitars? :help:
Guitar - distortion - modulation - amp - cabinet
(dist/mod can be reversed)
A preamp goes before the amp to boost the signal if necessary. Audiority just released a nice free amp/cab vst

AnX wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:20 pm whatever sounds good
just a flanger then?

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:58 pm
AnX wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:20 pm whatever sounds good
just a flanger then?

Don’t forget dynamics - a wah or compressor should go at the start of the chain before gain pedals.

Forgotten wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:20 pm Don’t forget dynamics - a wah or compressor should go at the start of the chain before gain pedals.
some like the wah post fuzz :P
my cock fight has a switch for pre/post :)

don't forget to replace the guitar with a synthesizer

AnX wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:34 pm don't forget to replace the guitar with a synthesizer
:lol:

Return to “Effects”