2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foosnark wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:40 pm
pekbro wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:45 pm ^ @foosnark: Did you get rid of the ER-301? I don’t see it in your modular grid.
Yeah. Long story short, last summer I really felt like I had lost something in the transition to the ER-301 based setup. I had a big rethink on it, and went through a few phases of changes since then. I had been using the ER-301 for two things:

-- Replacing things I shouldn't have replaced. The Hertz Donut mk2 was the major example. I got some fine complex oscillator sounds out of the ER-301 but it didn't feel right... so I tried a DPO, then an HD mk3, and finally went back to HD mk2.

-- Doing stuff that I can do better with Bitwig and the ES-3/ES-6. That includes some experiments, and some rarely used patches where I can't justify owning specific hardware full-time.

At the same time I felt like I had overkill and choice paralysis in some areas, so I trimmed things down and built things back up differently. I'm still kind of shaking out the changes there. For the moment I'm not going to buy or sell anything else, but I expect by this summer I'll have shifted more stuff around and be pretty close to a "finished" modular. If I'm not deluding myself :hihi:

(But then I'll still be playing with trying new pedals...)
Ok that makes sense. I recall you speaking very well of it and I was wondering what
had happened. I can kinda understand what you mean though. My system is pretty small,
still I have some difficulty deciding what I want to add to it these days. Mostly because
I can't imagine running out of stuff to do with what I already have. Decisions about adding
functionality and interest to it have become somewhat more difficult. A lot of the times
I think that I need something for this or that, I realize that I can already do that. :lol:

The Korg Opsix concept shown at NAMM is really the only thing interesting me at the moment. I hate clutter and avoid as much equipment as possible... but if the Opsix has a good keyboard with aftertouch, I might seriously consider it. A standalone FM synth with a nice keyboard (that isn't nearly 40 years old and smell like smoke, cat piss, and moldy basement)? Sounds good to me!

New Ibanez Gio electric guitar(bought), sampler(maybe an ES-1), a Volca Bass and maybe a Volca Sample. These are in the future. The new Behringer MS-1 I brought home in December dosen't really count but here it is anyway.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

KBSoundSmith wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:21 pm The Korg Opsix concept shown at NAMM is really the only thing interesting me at the moment. I hate clutter and avoid as much equipment as possible... but if the Opsix has a good keyboard with aftertouch, I might seriously consider it. A standalone FM synth with a nice keyboard (that isn't nearly 40 years old and smell like smoke, cat piss, and moldy basement)? Sounds good to me!
The Korg OPSix looks interesting to me too... I just bought the Electron Digitone. Wanted something small to travel with and I ended up being happier with it than I expected. I very much like FM.

OB-6 desktop on it's way up from Portland. Arrival in the next couple days.

I need a good budget analog eq 1000$ range

pdxindy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:37 pm
KBSoundSmith wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:21 pm The Korg Opsix concept shown at NAMM is really the only thing interesting me at the moment. I hate clutter and avoid as much equipment as possible... but if the Opsix has a good keyboard with aftertouch, I might seriously consider it. A standalone FM synth with a nice keyboard (that isn't nearly 40 years old and smell like smoke, cat piss, and moldy basement)? Sounds good to me!
The Korg OPSix looks interesting to me too... I just bought the Electron Digitone. Wanted something small to travel with and I ended up being happier with it than I expected. I very much like FM.
I've heard a number of people mention how much they like the Digitone. I might have to look over the spec sheet.

I am pretty hopeful about the OPSix. While it does appear limited to DX7 algorithms, if each operator can be individually assigned one of the variety of modes pictured on the keyboard, it could still be a very powerful synth -- and of course, there isn't any information on whether or not the operators are limited to sine waves... I'm hopeful a variety of waveforms will be available. And since there appears to be "Filter FM", perhaps there is an end-of-chain filter, maybe multiple modes?

If what I hope is true, it would be as if the simplicity of the DX7 were crossed with select elements of Bazille. Being able to offload more basic patches to hardware and allowing more CPU for Bazille would also be pretty sweet.

Suburst wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:12 am I need a good budget analog eq 1000$ range
You could get a used Elysia X-Filter 500 and Heritage OST-4 for less than $1000. I love my X-Filter.
Also look at the Drawmer 1974 and the JDK R24.

If you only need one channel check out the Summit FEQ-50.
Last edited by justin3am on Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:48 am I'm seriously considering about selling all my software synths..
Do you have anything interesting to sell? :wink:

0degree wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:54 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:48 am I'm seriously considering about selling all my software synths..
Depends.. What do you consider interesting :D

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:59 am
What I'm trying to say is - please let me know once you decide to unload your soft synths - will happily pick up something :)

0degree wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:28 pm
What I'm trying to say is - please let me know once you decide to unload your soft synths - will happily pick up something :)
I've now decided to let go of my discodsp licenses.. Love the synths but too much overlapping. Serum I was going to sell but it's not possible anymore since new xfer policy.. Might also part from lush101, synthmaster one and ds thorn.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:04 pm
0degree wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:28 pm
I've now decided to let go of my discodsp licenses.. Love the synths but too much overlapping. Serum I was going to sell but it's not possible anymore since new xfer policy.. Might also part from lush101, synthmaster one and ds thorn.
Damn, from this list Serum might be of interest to me but if it's not transferable then bummer :roll:
On topic - waiting for Zebra 3, Synthmaster 3 and maybe PSP infini strip. Potentially also upgrade of Arturia VCollection if there's something sweet in v8

get a room :roll:

:P

vurt wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:05 pm get a room :roll:

:P
Me? :D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”