Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

My two penneth - Wonder if the naming conventions will confuse the hell out of new users as to which one to purchase (will there be a comparison table come release?)

Maybe it could be simplified to something like:

Fathom Mono -> Fathom 3 LE
Fathom Pro: No AVX -> Fathom 3 or Fathom 3 Standard
Fathom Vector -> Fathom 3 Pro

Yes, I remember that.

I think that was caused by the Fathom VST ID being different in the Windows and Mac builds.
Yes, I have a note to make that code the same in both.

Some Mac OSX people are going to complain that they have to reload all their Fathom tracks,
but they really should be the same.

mcbpete, good point.

I really wish I had not named Fathom "Pro" so that "Vector" could be come the new "Pro".
However, renaming "Pro" to something like Fathom Standard could be even more confusing.
Fathom "Vector" is just the current code word for the Extreme version.
It may have a completely different name than Fathom when released.

I will probably have to keep Fathom Pro named as it is just to avoid a marketing nightmare.
I would literally have to say "Pro is the new Standard" every time I mention it.

Fathom Pro + AVX will be an internal release only so I don't care about the name for that. "Fathom Pro AVX" is the perfect description so that will probably be the name.

I have an absolutely killer name for Fathom Extreme which has not been used but I don't want to type it the thread publicly until I have it trademarked, it's that good.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FathomSynth wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:19 pm Yes, I remember that.

I think that was caused by the Fathom VST ID being different in the Windows and Mac builds.
Yes, I have a note to make that code the same in both.

Some Mac OSX people are going to complain that they have to reload all their Fathom tracks,
but they really should be the same.
Great!
The more Fathom becomes popular the more chances that it’s going to be used on multi platforms setups.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

FathomSynth wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:35 pm I will probably have to keep Fathom Pro named as it is just to avoid a marketing nightmare. I would literally have to say "Pro is the new Standard" every time I mention it.
A good point bounced straight back at me :D

this thread changes titles so often I have no idea what product it is any more....

This thread is dedicated to Fathom by Seaweed Audio.

It is the Fathom Synth Development Thread.
Please see the very top of the thread if there is any doubt. Our company logo is on the first page.
No other products are discussed here although there are tangents from time to time.

The title changes to correctly reflect what specifically about Fathom we are currently discussing.

We do this so you have one place to go to get the latest news on Fathom development
rather than having multiple threads all related to Fathom.

FathomSynth wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:10 pm ...
Video Card GPU Processing.
Is this makes it unusable for people that don’t have GPU Processing functionality on them system?
I guess not but...

GPU Processing is a long way off since I will be doing the Sampler first.
It will probably be close to the end of 2020.

The only reason I listed it is because I already have it working in my development build,
and the speed increase is approximately 8X.

The first version would be limited to NVIDIA graphics cards since I'm currently using CUDA.
But the same code could be ported to the AMD equivalent.

Intel AVX Preliminary Test Results:

Oscillator 1, Polyphony 8, Detune Voices 8, Total Voices 64, OFF, CPU %35
Oscillator 1, Polyphony 8, Detune Voices 8, Total Voices 64, AVX, CPU %10

Fantastic results :) well done :) I love Fathom but I also love pads and I've been struggling with my quad core Xeon being maxxed out and getting glitches so this will be such an improvement :)

Intel AVX Preliminary Test Results 2:

Sorry I did not have full Intel CPU AVX enabled in the compiler for the test results above.

Here are updated results.

Wave Draw Oscillator:

Oscillator 1, Polyphony 8, Detune Voices 8, Total Voices 64, OFF, CPU %35
Oscillator 1, Polyphony 8, Detune Voices 8, Total Voices 64, AVX, CPU %06

Metamorphic Oscillator:

Oscillator 1, Polyphony 8, Detune Voices 8, Total Voices 64, OFF, CPU %42
Oscillator 1, Polyphony 8, Detune Voices 8, Total Voices 64, AVX, CPU %03

The Wave Draw oscillator is about 6 times faster.
The Metamorphic Oscillator is about 14 times faster.

The ratio for the Wave Draw is 1.37/8.0 which is very close to the theoretical 8X multiply for Intel AVX 8 lane registers.

The speed for the metamorphic oscillator is even more since it includes additional speed enhancements such as processing all oscillator stages in sample blocks rather than conventional function calls. When the same enhancements are done to the other oscillator the speed increase will be similar.

This is great news since the whole point of Intel AVX development was to boost Fathom's CPU by approximately 8X times. But it looks like with both Intel AVX and better block processing the speed is going to be around 14X.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

That is incredible!

Was this test performed with AVX or AVX2?
Windows 10 and too many plugins

AnX wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:59 pm this thread changes titles so often I have no idea what product it is any more....
Plus there are currently 306 pages to wade through, most of which arent relevant anymore
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Instruments”