Unloved synths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ANA 2 Aparillo ArcSyn BioTek 2 Carbon Electra Codex Wavetable Synth Cypher2 Hybrid 3 Strobe2 TAL-Mod

These {cough} mature {cough} eyes can't handle dark themes at all - serious eye strain and headaches :(
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

folderol wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:08 am These {cough} mature {cough} eyes can't handle dark themes at all - serious eye strain and headaches :(
The light theme of ArcSyn isn't bad either...I would like to see more skins, personally:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And in case you have never heard ArcSyn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT06uwYTU1w

No offense, but, that's absolutely horrible. No contrast, all elements pushed together, so, the GUI is very busy. Bad font selection, bad use of space, no symmetry...

And, the dark skin isn't much better (well, it is, but, still bad). ArcSyn isn't a bad synth at all, but, the GUI surely IS bad.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:01 am
that's alright. :)
Welcome back from slumber :party:

chk071 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:26 am No offense, but, that's absolutely horrible. No contrast, all elements pushed together, so, the GUI is very busy. Bad font selection, bad use of space, no symmetry...

And, the dark skin isn't much better (well, it is, but, still bad). ArcSyn isn't a bad synth at all, but, the GUI surely IS bad.
Personally, I am for functionality and sound quality above all else. I have seen plenty of GUIs on synths and ROMplers that sounded HORRIBLE!

This one is not really "unloved", but not everyone knows about the free Cobalt synth, so I thought I'd mention it here:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/cobalt ... und-design

The thought of all of these unloved synths brings tears to these old eyes... there's gotta be something we can do! How about taking an unloved synth for a spin at least once a week? Unloved synths shelters? Unloved synths need hugs too!

Lotuzia wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:54 am
JerGoertz wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:16 am
JoeCat wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:14 am
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:09 am I always thought that Oxium would be a bigger deal than it ended up being. Maybe if they had added a wavetable oscillator people would have gone bananas for it, as is the fashion.
Maybe. Also, if it were prettier.
It's almost like Xils made it deliberately ugly so people would be steered to their other synths. :hihi:
Even the 'classic' Ice White' skin ?

It’s not “pretty” but it’s cool by me. Would look better as hardware though I bet!

It’s so subjective - you have people who hate skueomorphic and others who won’t use Valhalla kit cause they hate flat... no love for GUI design.

tony10000 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:23 am And in case you have never heard ArcSyn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT06uwYTU1w
Love this synth

ccDuckett wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:10 pm It makes me think of pretty powerful but NLA stuff like White Noise Audio's synths, or ConcreteFX Kubik.. just because it's no longer available doesn't mean they no longer work.
I never got WNA Dopplemangler working and gave it away, back in the day.
I loved Kubik, but couldn't get it to work on my current PC.

I also will add Carbon Electra to the list. Very capable and very distinctive sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qruko7OG3TU

chk071 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:26 am No offense, but, that's absolutely horrible. No contrast, all elements pushed together, so, the GUI is very busy. Bad font selection, bad use of space, no symmetry...

That's what I was referring to. I can imagine dev's sci-fi fixation, but at the end of the day if you want to program this thing you spend a lot of time and this sci-fi feel quickly wears off. I'd prefer more organised and symmetrical GUI

Ploki wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:42 am
chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:01 am
that's alright. :)
Welcome back from slumber :party:
Thanks. :D

ariston wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:39 pm The thought of all of these unloved synths brings tears to these old eyes... there's gotta be something we can do! How about taking an unloved synth for a spin at least once a week? Unloved synths shelters? Unloved synths need hugs too!

The Island of Misfit Synths, sniffle......poor things, now you got me vowing to fire some up and get them exercise tomorrow! :clap:

Return to “Instruments”