Rob Papen - Impressions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've never been really impressed by any RP instrument. They sound 90's, in the bad way. I mean, I love 90's music. But sound, tools, have to evolve. Tone2 has a 90's feeling but a modern tone imho, they love these sounds and pay tribute instead of trying to deliver the outdated sound. My personal, very personal advice is : search elsewhere.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

hivkorn wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:36 pm
plexuss wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:43 pm
hivkorn wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:41 pm Get phase plant, avenger and spire...sad but RP is outdated...
Outdated in what way? I have the RP bundle and it's great. The synths sound excellent and there is a lot to choose from. Many have been updated with scalable UIs and there are some new synths. I think they release at least a synth and effect every year. They are top tier as far as I am concerned, in the same class as U-he but a little more out-of-the-box. And the effects are really good too with some unique approaches.
i forget to say , only my opinion .... :wink:
theres this dated distortion plugin from like, 2005 called Cyanide 2 that can make any plugin sound as abrasive and obnoxious as any "modern sounding synth" out now.
http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

DJErmac wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 pm I've never been really impressed by any RP instrument. They sound 90's, in the bad way. I mean, I love 90's music. But sound, tools, have to evolve. Tone2 has a 90's feeling but a modern tone imho, they love these sounds and pay tribute instead of trying to deliver the outdated sound. My personal, very personal advice is : search elsewhere.
Blue II is a fantastic synth. Predator is one of the best in the subtractive field.

Jon Ayres is top in what concerns soft synth creation. I don't know what you mean by 90's, but considering how people still want synths like the Roland JD-800/JD-990 or XV-5080, or the Korg Triton and Z1, I don't think sounding 90's (whatever the meaning) is a bad thing :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

I liked BIT when I demo'd it. I get the "90's" though, but, I found that in a positive way. :) Sounded like the sound is bandlimited. I found it a nice variety compared to modern super bright "high quality" or whatever oscillators. Made the sound more oldschool.

I also like RP-Distort, which I use frequently. RP-Delay, not so much. The architecture confuses me, to be honest.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:19 pm Sounded like the sound is bandlimited.
This.

I have always found a use for Rob Papen sounds and they always sound different from all other sounds out there. Nothing wrong with the tool, it's how you use it.

DJErmac wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:32 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:19 pm Sounded like the sound is bandlimited.
This.
Maybe this is why Blue II always seems to sit so well in the mix.

RAW is a great synth as is RAW Kick, they tend to get a lot of use here.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Blue 2 is really good

fmr wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:33 pm
DJErmac wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 pm I've never been really impressed by any RP instrument. They sound 90's, in the bad way. I mean, I love 90's music. But sound, tools, have to evolve. Tone2 has a 90's feeling but a modern tone imho, they love these sounds and pay tribute instead of trying to deliver the outdated sound. My personal, very personal advice is : search elsewhere.
Blue II is a fantastic synth. Predator is one of the best in the subtractive field.

Jon Ayres is top in what concerns soft synth creation. I don't know what you mean by 90's, but considering how people still want synths like the Roland JD-800/JD-990 or XV-5080, or the Korg Triton and Z1, I don't think sounding 90's (whatever the meaning) is a bad thing :roll:
True, but it's because you're not answering the OP, you're talking about your very personal/and other's tastes. Yes or no can we read he's NOT looking for an outdated sound ?
alexbaroni wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:50 pm Rob Popen seems to be outdated for me, so I left it for the end to check.

Any experience here?
Thank you

Blue2 is outstanding!!

I can't help but visualize some cheap knockoff artist trying to make $$ with "Rab Popen" plugins :lol:

I can't say everything the man's ever put his his name on has blown me away- but "datedness" doesn't make even the originals of Predator or Blue sh*t synths, for example.

How old a piece of software is (aside from compatibility issues) shouldn't affect your judgement as to how useful to you it is... Green Oak still happily supplies Crystal for a reason. Honestly? I'd say, do a more thorough job of identifying your musical needs, and then look at your budget and ID your must-haves.. then bundle-shopping decisions become easier.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

RP synths are quite good, the support is superb, and they are planning blue3 and blade2. Of course these GUIs are not animated like the GUI of Pigments, but they improved their stuff. For example in predator 2 you can see the waveforms, and many RP synths has the animated XY pad and big gui skins can be also chosen. And cpu usage is also OK. Plus the great number of good presets is another gift.
IMHO RP synths has just enough features and they can be used in a wide range of styles. Of Course if you don't have time to dig deeper in these synths -or in any synths - then you stuck on an average level of usage.

hivkorn wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:41 pm Get phase plant, avenger and spire...sad but RP is outdated...
You are outdated

Rob Popen? :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”