Qbert synth in The Greenhouse by Pigface

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/mblMJ7jkGAU

It starts at 1:13. Any thoughts how you would go about recreating it? Something about it always scratched an itch in my ear. I guess it's similar to qbert.
Last edited by empphryio on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QBert? As in the arcade game? I’m not hearing it. It sounds to me like simple tones that are layered, with maybe some ring modulation.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

The trick to making a sound sound this f**ked up is the left anr right channel are not the same sound.
It's probably some FM on RM like mentioned above but two different tones/notes and then some more modulation.

Get any free FM synth and try to make ugly sounds (which is pretty easy with FM)
then when you have something you "like" make a similar patch an pan each separate to left and right.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Agreed about the panning. In fact, that seems to be strong throughout the song’s sounds (which I like, especially with the percussion). The chosen pitches are important in how they interact with each other, but I lack the music theory to describe it.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

CHOOS wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:05 pm The trick to making a sound sound this f**ked up is the left anr right channel are not the same sound.
It's probably some FM on RM like mentioned above but two different tones/notes and then some more modulation.

Get any free FM synth and try to make ugly sounds (which is pretty easy with FM)
then when you have something you "like" make a similar patch an pan each separate to left and right.
Thanks. I tried all that with Dexed and got something similar though more like the bike racing/blocking game scene from Tron which is pretty cool.

empphryio wrote: Thanks. I tried all that with Dexed and got something similar though more like the bike racing/blocking game scene from Tron which is pretty cool.
HAHA very good. Dexed is pretty awesome and there are SO MANY presets.
I have FL Studio so I use Sytrus but you can do similar things in both.

Good Luck!
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Return to “Sound Design”