Understanding electronic music composing.

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As per the fallacious appeal to the authority of Berklee in the one entry, major and minor = Ionian and Aeolian is problematic owing to the connotation with (major or minor) key, w. tonality.*
As a simple statement, I suppose “Dorian is a minor mode“ is no problem, but this is two different statements.

If one did happen to encounter “Modes are categorized (“loosely” changes nothing) by their root triad”, one has encountered incompetence. One thing one learns with really knowing is to recognize correct vs incorrect. The known issue of this mistake, in believing you knew when in fact you didn’t, is the thing that got David Dunning famous. You have to have the actual competence to know your actual competence. ;)

(*: <Ionian> does not necessarily even suggest Leading Tone to 1; <Major key> does tend to suggest if not rather demand it. A mode is not a key.)

Good to see you back Jan. Missed you these past couple of weeks.

berklee got schooled! :band:

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:26 pm berklee got schooled! :band:
Just like those punk ass motherfuckers from MIT

https://youtu.be/qvOEFr03ea8

:lol:

Forgotten wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:14 am Good to see you back Jan. Missed you these past couple of weeks.
thx, it’s good to be missed.
doesn’t mean I’m back :scared:

jancivil wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:25 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:14 am Good to see you back Jan. Missed you these past couple of weeks.
Sure, but you know what I mean :tu:

... wrong thread

jancivil wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:25 pm
i concur with mr gotten.
and if youre not back, at lesst give us an occasional nudge. just so we know youre good :)

Forgotten wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:53 am
Stamped Records wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:44 am I said, the modes are categorised loosely by the chords are built on their root.
No, you said:
Stamped Records wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:41 pm modes themselves are categorised loosely by their major or minor root chord
Modes don’t have root chords that are major or minor.
Stamped Records wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:44 am Nobody suggested 6 modes. 3 x minor, 3 x major and 1 that is neither major or minor. That's 7 modes.
You did above - you said 3 Major and 3 minor, which adds up to 6. At least you’re now realizing there is one that does not fit into major or minor, which is the other part of your error.

I don’t know why you’re so reticent to listen and so quick to use sarcasm (particularly when it’s based on your assumption that you are correct, but in reality you are shown to be wrong). Just do what everyone else does, and be open to the fact that there’s always more to learn, so it’s not good to make quotes based on misremembering things or not being able to articulate knowledge accurately.
Mate, I dunno why you're arguing with me. Go argue with Berklee. You (like a lot of people here) pick bones with me that aren't really there for picking. Right now you're picking bones with me about whether a mode has a root chord or not instead of hearing what I actually said to you. Modes are loosely categorised by the chord that 'would be/could be' built from their keynote. Nobody is saying it's a root chord in the true sense of the term so please quit it man. Go argue with Berklee.

No one is really trying to argue with you; they’re trying to correct your misapprehensions.

Neither I nor anyone else is arguing with anything that Berklee might teach - just pointing out that you have misunderstood.

Forgotten wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:05 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:26 pm berklee got schooled! :band:
Just like those punk ass motherfuckers from MIT

https://youtu.be/qvOEFr03ea8
since this post i keep getting an ad for "the mit murders" :hihi:
20200128_172503.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:lol:

It’s normal to contrast eg., the modes dorian and phrygian vs aeolian, as the Berklee entry does, if only because of the conditioning of the western musician has ‘natural minor’ as more “regular”.

The fallacy is leaning on a page you don’t quite follow for an indefensible assertion. Early in the thing it states that modes “are different than the ‘regular’ major and minor”. I do not know where the notion originated that “modes are categorized by their root chord”. It isn’t from that entry in any way, shape or form.

Scales do not have roots.

It’s obvious to anyone that 3 of 7 of these items will give a minor ‘tonic’ chord if you construct it, there are another 3 which give a major one. Form a ‘i’ triad from Locrian and we get a diminished triad.

The statement you want regards the 3rd degree of the scale. Modes are not taught from chords as any basis. Again the categorization is sussed before we consider a vertical harmony at_all.

So, to be argumentative from the position of not having Intro to Music Theory facts (roots only ever refer to chords, no kind of scale has a root) is bizarre. You can deceive yourself 24/7/365 about your knowledge base, it’s not really anybody else’s issue, but if I see it I find there is one responsible action, to correct the mistake.

i think its a symptom of self teaching.
from my own experience spending many years reading, taking in as much information as i could handle. then using it in pieces.
all good.

the problem arose when i needed to get grades and prove id understood. that was an eye opener. realising you know feck all :lol:

but, the desire to learn is there, so take the next step, in allowing people who do understand, to give you a few pointers.
no one is putting you down, its the sarcastic attitude. doesnt help with people who are trying to help :(

Return to “Music Theory”