Future of Synthesizers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys!
Wanted to start a broader topic concerning the future of the synthesizers that we use in our productions.

For the last 30 years VA has pretty much dominated both in hardware and in software. I'll just mention a few popular synths.

JP-8000
Virus
Nord Lead
Sylenth1

What do you guys think the trend will be for the next 30 years? Will we see a decline of the subtractive synths, or they will evolve into something new and better? Or maybe reach an iconic status, like the Fender Stratocaster? :)

i think in the future there will be more.
both hardware snd software.
within 30 years a synth manufacturer will be voted president.

kneel before all artificial overlords

Monark sounds cooler than president

This prediction still hasn't come true, but I'll make it again: The details of synthesis will be increasingly hidden by new user interfaces that allow musicians to work with sound without requiring a lot of technical knowledge. This happened in keyboard instruments. You get 1000 sounds and maybe six knobs to tailor them. The high end would be a system where you describe the sound you want verbally.

30 years is a lot of time for this sort of projection. The VST specification and the Eurorack format are both only 24 years old.

Even MIDI 1.0 is only 35 years old.

foosnark wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:25 pm 30 years is a lot of time for this sort of projection. The VST specification and the Eurorack format are both only 24 years old.

Even MIDI 1.0 is only 35 years old.
well, can you tell midi1 to stop pissing about and respect its elders. bloody phantom notes and pitch bend info :x

Eirikur wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:24 pm This prediction still hasn't come true, but I'll make it again: The details of synthesis will be increasingly hidden by new user interfaces that allow musicians to work with sound without requiring a lot of technical knowledge. This happened in keyboard instruments. You get 1000 sounds and maybe six knobs to tailor them.
Like Nexus 3?

Bio synthesizers hooked directly into the brain are the future!

Forgotten wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:43 pm Bio synthesizers hooked directly into the brain are the future!
alvin lucier?

More games will appear in plugin synths. We already saw some in Cyclop, Avenger and Phase Plant.

dune_rave wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:06 pm More games will appear in plugin synths. We already saw some in Cyclop, Avenger and Phase Plant.
you will have to complete levels to access features :o

There will be multiplayer versions, usually won by Steve Vai lookalikes who have sold their soul to the devil for virtuoso musical abilities

Forgotten wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:12 pm There will be multiplayer versions, usually won by Steve Vai lookalikes who have sold their soul to the devil for virtuoso musical abilities
woohoo! the future sounds great :D

Behringer will clone Jordan Rudess.

izonin wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:55 pm Hey guys!
Wanted to start a broader topic concerning the future of the synthesizers that we use in our productions.

For the last 30 years VA has pretty much dominated both in hardware and in software. I'll just mention a few popular synths.

JP-8000
Virus
Nord Lead
Sylenth1

What do you guys think the trend will be for the next 30 years? Will we see a decline of the subtractive synths, or they will evolve into something new and better? Or maybe reach an iconic status, like the Fender Stratocaster? :)
I wonder how you came up with this "fact" of yours.

I dont see any domination of jp virus and nord leads except in forums like KVR. And then its only more of a legend status, romantised incredible sounding synths that are only talked about.

Return to “Instruments”