Yamaha MODX Bosendorfer Split on Different MIDI Channels?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I didn't want to combine my questions but in case the solutions are related here is the link to the other one. viewtopic.php?f=102&t=538570

My Yamaha MODX has performances that only do what they do if they are played from its own 61 keys. This is especially irritating when using the Bosendorfer Piano Collection. I connected my Studiologic SL88 Studio to my MODX and found that many performances in this collection or factory ones, will only produce sound on certain notes or keys. I really don't understand that and wish someone could explain it. In order to get certain parts of a MODX Performance to sound while playing the keys on the SL88, I had to go into the SL88 and switch midi tx channels until I found which one that particular part of the performance on the MODX would be triggered on. It would be great if I could get them to all just play if my SL88 is simply transmitting on channel 1.

Some Montage/MODX performances are composed of multiple parts. The better piano sounds are, for example. Some are 4, even 5, with different samples for each. One part is reserved for high notes, with their unique decay, another for harder velocities, one for softer...so that it produces the different textures that add to realism.

You can record a single piano part in MIDI on another controller, and just copy the tracks to the different channels. That's a quick way to benefit from that approach. If I don't need a highly realistic piano, I choose a performance with a single piano part. If I recall, "stage piano" is a great choice for a background piano that's a singe part.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

I re-read your post, and realized you're asking about playing live, more so than recording.

Switch the MODX to SINGLE mode, and all parts receive input from one channel. There's a lot on this topic at: http://yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/c ... i-channels

Oh wow, thank you Watchful!

Watchful wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:59 pm I re-read your post, and realized you're asking about playing live, more so than recording.

Switch the MODX to SINGLE mode, and all parts receive input from one channel. There's a lot on this topic at: http://yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/c ... i-channels
Thank you that is a good amount of info and I'm grateful that you shared the link. I haven't been there in a while, that is, Yamaha Synth.

When I visited that link you gave me and tried to use my login credentials from usa.yamaha.com, I could not log in. I wanted to log in so I could ask a few questions. I asked for a password reset and once it was complete, I still could not log in to Yamaha Synth. The strange thing is even after creating a new account at Yamaha Synth with a different email, I still couldn't log in and my email was verified too. Then to try and find out what was up with their websites, I tried to do a chat with Yamaha and when chat connected me with an agent with one letter as the name "J", after asking them a few questions like "here is my name what is yours", and then not getting a response to a single question, I called Yamaha and waited in the queue for a good hour to get a live Yamaha rep. I couldn't even get a straight answer as to whether the credentials for logging in at both sites is the same or not. Does anyone know?

Probably not. Yamaha's forum experience is really awful, and the forum itself has a lot of complaints about it. I think every Yamaha site with a login requires you to create a name and password for it.

Thanks, Watchful. In that case, I won't bother with that Forum. Yamaha support called me back and very happy that I got the MODX working the way I wanted for my setup. I didn't know there was a few additional midi settings in the advanced tab.

You should still browse it from time to time...there's a ton of good stuff and neat ideas, tutorials, and suggestions in there.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”