Ribs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Crust sounds great!
i don't understand a lot of it but can tweak knobs and soon get an organic character.

Last month I used it for some experiment and I must say I forgot some of the knobs too) took me a while to remember how to do stuff :)

I've just discovered Ribs and have been using it for the last couple days and it is AMAZING. Definitely in my top few granular plugins. And it works great in Logic if you load it as a MIDI Controlled Effect and feed audio in through sidechain input.

The only huge issue I have that is keeping me from fully embracing it is not being able to save and load patches. Is there a chance you will add that function soon?

Also on a sidenote if you do keep working on it, being able to drop in audio files directly would be cool and add a whole new layer of use :)

frosty9000 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:38 pm I've just discovered Ribs and have been using it for the last couple days and it is AMAZING. Definitely in my top few granular plugins. And it works great in Logic if you load it as a MIDI Controlled Effect and feed audio in through sidechain input.

The only huge issue I have that is keeping me from fully embracing it is not being able to save and load patches. Is there a chance you will add that function soon?

Also on a sidenote if you do keep working on it, being able to drop in audio files directly would be cool and add a whole new layer of use :)
Glad you liked it :) Adding files, though seems to be a simple feature, actualy has a huge logistics roadmap due to some restrictions of the framework that I used. I have to reinvent a couple of bicycles. One third of the file manager is ready :)

Awesome tool, is it possible to put this on the master in ableton, and run a whole completed track through it and then export the track with the Ribs FX on said track?

Typically a question which answers itself (just do it...). Not having any experience with Live I’d say why not? Your host doesn’t know that this is something else than a compressor or eq...

Mercifully, Ribs doesn't need to process in real-time. So a host's audio file export will accurately render grain sizing, envelope times, etc.

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:26 am Typically a question which answers itself (just do it...). Not having any experience with Live I’d say why not? Your host doesn’t know that this is something else than a compressor or eq...
So far I can't run a whole track through it without some pop/click when the buffer (which I have set to max) overlaps? itself which happens several times through the course of the track.

I would like to run a whole 5 minute+ track through it using the Ribs slow effect to get the nice effect it gives but without the buffer overlap pop/click that inevitably happens. I am not sure how to avoid this, if someone could chime in that would be great!

X86 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:54 pm I would like to run a whole 5 minute+ track through it using the Ribs slow effect to get the nice effect it gives but without the buffer overlap pop/click that inevitably happens. I am not sure how to avoid this, if someone could chime in that would be great!
i believe there is currently no way to avoid this. i've posted here, previously, on this issue and suggested a fade at write position during refill. The developer said that would involve maintaining parallel buffers, so has an idea for addressing the crackles.

Otherwise, use NOTES (Performance mode), engage the return playhead switch, and ensure the step knob determines playback position to lag behind the buffer write position. Or, automate the aiming playhead such that it avoids the buffer write position.

Tangentially, exploit the crackles as intrinsic character.

levendis wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:19 pm
X86 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:54 pm I would like to run a whole 5 minute+ track through it using the Ribs slow effect to get the nice effect it gives but without the buffer overlap pop/click that inevitably happens. I am not sure how to avoid this, if someone could chime in that would be great!
i believe there is currently no way to avoid this. i've posted here, previously, on this issue and suggested a fade at write position during refill. The developer said that would involve maintaining parallel buffers, so has an idea for addressing the crackles.

Otherwise, use NOTES (Performance mode), engage the return playhead switch, and ensure the step knob determines playback position to lag behind the buffer write position. Or, automate the aiming playhead such that it avoids the buffer write position.

Tangentially, exploit the crackles as intrinsic character.
Very informative post. Thank you.

Hopefully he can solve this in the future. That would be a game changer.

Thanks for sharing this, do you know if there is a manual somewhere because I think the video tutorials are not really usefull for this complex and powerfull plugin?

callel wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:55 am Thanks for sharing this, do you know if there is a manual somewhere because I think the video tutorials are not really usefull for this complex and powerfull plugin?
Press the question mark button to see short parameter descriptions. PDF manual is included in the download.

Thanks nichttuntun I didn't noticed that the pdf was inclueded, I'll take a long look at this :)

:)

Trouble getting the AU to load in Ableton 9 with Mac OS X 10.14...

Whenever I try to drag Ribs onto a MIDI track I get an error message telling me the plugin is "not compatible." Any thoughts? Thanks!

Return to “Instruments”