Purple Brain (Psytrance)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

seismic1 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:41 am I didn't get the Prince reference initially.

I was thinking more along the lines of "....haze, all in my...."
Ah, no not purple haze.

TBH, the track has no references or nods towards the Prince track; I just liked the play on words. I’m sure it’s been done a zillion times before me though.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

As Forgotten said this genre is normally not my thing but I enjoyed your work on this. It has energy that has me feeling like I should get up from my computer and dance... Also, it maintains interest with all the additions. Well done!
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Allomerus wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:34 pm As Forgotten said this genre is normally not my thing but I enjoyed your work on this. It has energy that has me feeling like I should get up from my computer and dance... Also, it maintains interest with all the additions. Well done!
:tu:

Thanks man! Great feedback that you still felt the urge to get up despite the genre not being your thing.

Bumping this for additional feedback before I pull it down over the weekend to remix.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:00 pm
seismic1 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:41 am I didn't get the Prince reference initially.

I was thinking more along the lines of "....haze, all in my...."
Ah, no not purple haze.

a lot of people dont realise "purple haze" is about prince.
he was so amazing, knowledge of him leaked throughout time.
hendrix took just the right amount of lsd one day, to tap in to the akeshic records, and actually meet and jam with an astral prince.
its all in the sleeve notes :)

Nice track. I would make the kick a little punchier, but thats just personal taste. One thing I feel might add to the track is to make use of the stereo field a bit more and give a more 3D impression. Did you use the Haas effect on any sounds? Or something like Precedence from 2C-audio. I think you could probably just pick one or two sounds you already have and position them (instead of adding additional sounds).

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:15 pm a lot of people dont realise "purple haze" is about prince.
hendrix took just the right amount of lsd one day, to tap in to the akeshic records, and actually meet and jam with an astral prince.
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I was reading this thinking it doesn't sound right, surely they were years apart. I even took to Google before it dawned on me :dog:

JoaquinAce wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:09 pm Nice track. I would make the kick a little punchier, but thats just personal taste. One thing I feel might add to the track is to make use of the stereo field a bit more and give a more 3D impression. Did you use the Haas effect on any sounds? Or something like Precedence from 2C-audio. I think you could probably just pick one or two sounds you already have and position them (instead of adding additional sounds).
Thanks for the listen :tu:

The kick and bass were the priority with the remixing and I think I've nailed them now. They certainly punch as hard as my reference track.

Re the stereo positioning that indeed was another item on the list of improvements but I was mainly considering panning rather than Haas. I have however since purchased KHs Haas to do just this so thanks for the tip 8) Precedence is on my list of plugins to acquire but haven't grabbed it yet (too many post Christmas bills :cry: )

Hopefully the new version will be up mid week.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:59 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:15 pm a lot of people dont realise "purple haze" is about prince.
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I was reading this thinking it doesn't sound right, surely they were years apart. I even took to Google before it dawned on me :dog:
:lol:

Finally had a chance to give this one a working over in terms of the mix.
https://soundcloud.com/mushy-mushy/purple-brain

Good track well worth the effort you put on it

noylis wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:52 pm Good track well worth the effort you put on it
Thanks man. It was a lot of work indeed.

I picked up on this one late last night, but weren’t able to listen then. Doing so now, and glad to be doing that.
First off: oerrrrrrrr, that clever cut n paste vocal treatment was cool and cruel.
It’s not really audible that some 171 channels got bashed up. Did you layer each sound in triplets or more.
Out of curiosity though;
What would be the challenge to use as many as such? It goes against a grain i like to stick to called less is more.

mystahr wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:25 pm I picked up on this one late last night, but weren’t able to listen then. Doing so now, and glad to be doing that.
Thanks for the listen.

mystahr wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:25 pm What would be the challenge to use as many as such? It goes against a grain i like to stick to called less is more.
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you but it wasn't really an intentional decision to add as many tracks as possible. In fact it's quite the opposite. However doing so does provide a lot more flexibility.

For example I have 3 or 4 kick drum tracks. One is the main 4/4 kick, another is filtered for the breakdown, another is distorted for little drops here and there, and another is for the fills. Sure I can combine them but by keeping say the filtered one seperate I know that no matter what I do to that (ie in terms of the automation) the main 4/4 will be unaffected. I reiterate careful automation does the same but sometimes you need to be incredibly precise and ensure the plugins respond instantly. I prefer to take the easier and guaranteed approach.

Another example is the bassline where I have 3 tracks (at least) being one for each note; all of which feed into a group track. Instead of sidechaining the bass to the kick I simply turn down or EQ the first note after the kick. The result is it's perfect every time and provides complete flexibility.

Also there are several sounds that are only heard once for a split second, all of which have their own track. I could dump these into a multitimbral sampler but I'd still have X audio tracks feeding out requiring mixing.

I have a tendency to ask questions that could've been asked a lot simpler.
Then again you did anwer my curiostiy; how does one go about and work on toons is something that I find quite interesting.
Cheers

Return to “Music Cafe”