Would this be possible?

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all,

I currently own a MiniLab Mk2 and I'm planning on doing my own script for it.
I've been messing around with the Mk2 scripts on Github, and Bitwigs original Mk1 script, but they don't quite do what I want.

Since my scripting knowledge is limited atm I'd like to know if the following is possible with the Bitwig API before I start properly :

The Mk2 has 7 'modes' it can be set to, which send a different sysex value for each one - 1 factory mode & 6 user modes.

Have the pads & knobs send raw midi data when in the factory mode so it works properly with Analog Lab.

Have the pads & knobs send user defined data for the other user modes, so the pads could be used as shortcuts to Bitwig commands / functions / drumpads, and the knobs for the 8 remote controls / browser columns / whatever else.

Does this sound manageable to anyone who's knows Javascript / Bitwig API?

And since my knowledge of Javascript & Java is at pretty much the same level, would I be better off doing it in Java instead?

Hi MoodyB, i noticed that noone replied to this so thought i'd chip in...

I'm no programmer myself, but i have used scripts where it works similar to what you have described. My current device for example has 4 'modes' and depending on what mode i'm in, each of the knobs do different things (one of four things).

As for Javascrip/Java my GUESS is that you should go with Java but someone more qualitfied woudl be best to confirm that.

Warmest regards
Dale

Thanks for the reply askewd.

I've "hacked" together a script that can change the pad leds' depending on certain control states in Bitwig , and managed to get the knobs working in Analog Lab to some extent. It's not pretty though as I'm sure there's a much more efficient, and better, way to be doing it as I've been learning as I go.

Seems a waste having 8 pads just sitting there until you use a drum machine, when you could be using them for Bitwig shortcuts / commands instead ( I know other scripts allow transport & device controls, but it could go much further than that )

Other than that I've put it on hold until Moss puts up new videos covering the api hardware additions Bitwig added in the latest update, as it should make certain things easier.
As I'm basically at the beginner stage regarding scripting / programming, I'll need all the (free) guidance I can get :D

Return to “Controller Scripting”